Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Which is best single or multiple axolotls in tank??

Phoenixrose

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have done the research and read the info that Axies are solitary animals that don't need company. I have also seen the pictures of them hanging out in stacks when they do have a friend which to me indicates that they like others of their kind. What is the general opinion of those who have had them? I have had some breeders say that they seem to do better if there is more than one and others say the complete opposite. I have a 120 Litre tank (32 gallon aprox) and was thinking it would be nice to have two if possible but really want the best for my axie/s. Pictures welcome, can't get enough of these gorgeous smiley creatures.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
The general rule of thumb is a 20 gallon wide for one adult axolotl and an additional 10 gallons minimum per additional axolotl. To some degree, it depends on their temperament and/or vision. I mention vision because my axolotl tries to eat absolutely anything that moves (bubbles, plants, his own reflection...) and after one particular incident, I wouldn't trust him with another axolotl for very long

KayDee

Reaction score
I have also contemplated getting mine a friend too. Im not too sure what sex my axolotl is so hesitant to get another until i know for certain. I am not keen on breeding them.
My axolotl tends to stare at its reflection quite regularly so often thought about a new addition. Either that or my axolotl is just terribly vain 😀

Axolou

Reaction score
I've had exactly the same experience as AMurry24537 in the past, one of my axies thought the other was food because of his sight, it was awful but I managed to remedy the situation eventually - didn't want to separate them completely because they actually did like each other.

My current couple love each other's company - If you can get the right combination of a good amount of space, good hides, and good feeding, you'd stand a good chance at a successful little crew. I've got two (male and female) both about 1.5 -2 years old, in a 120 ltr tank (2.5 ft long) with live plants, ceramic hides (enough for 2 pipes each), and steady at about 18/19 degrees C. They either stay completely out of each other's way, or they are standing on top of each other or booping noses for hours on end, and they show the right signs of being happy and healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_20210115_225112765_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20210115_225112765_HDR~2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 442

JM29

Reaction score
Difficult question...

I begin rearing them by batches of 10 to 20 larvae in a little tank (5 l.).
When they grow to 4-5 cm, they often begin with cannibalistic behaviors, so I prefer isolate them (outdoors individual tank).
At a length of 10-12 cm, they are often less agressive and can be kept together again (4 max in a 60 l. tank).
In case of overcrowding at young stages, I sometimes see a lotl developping a particularly large head and definitively cannibalistic trends.
More than the volume, the horizontal area of the tank may be more important because these animals spend most of their time on the floor.
Anyway, one axolotl alone doesn't seem to suffer...

Phoenixrose

Reaction score
I've had exactly the same experience as AMurry24537 in the past, one of my axies thought the other was food because of his sight, it was awful but I managed to remedy the situation eventually - didn't want to separate them completely because they actually did like each other.

My current couple love each other's company - If you can get the right combination of a good amount of space, good hides, and good feeding, you'd stand a good chance at a successful little crew. I've got two (male and female) both about 1.5 -2 years old, in a 120 ltr tank (2.5 ft long) with live plants, ceramic hides (enough for 2 pipes each), and steady at about 18/19 degrees C. They either stay completely out of each other's way, or they are standing on top of each other or booping noses for hours on end, and they show the right signs of being happy and healthy.
I love your hides! Where did you get them??

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have done the research and read the info that Axies are solitary animals that don't need company. I have also seen the pictures of them hanging out in stacks when they do have a friend which to me indicates that they like others of their kind. What is the general opinion of those who have had them? I have had some breeders say that they seem to do better if there is more than one and others say the complete opposite. I have a 120 Litre tank (32 gallon aprox) and was thinking it would be nice to have two if possible but really want the best for my axie/s. Pictures welcome, can't get enough of these gorgeous smiley creatures.
A lot of it depends on temperament and the size of your tank. I have 4 males in a 75 gallon together and 3 females together in another tank. My largest male is about 11 inches and he is the most chill axie ever. He lets his tank mates crawl all over him and couldn't care less (he also was fine when he was by himself, no behavior change). I have two of is sons in with him, both about 8 inches and one of them is a little brat. I have to watch him because if he isn't kept VERY well fed, he can get snappy. The other brother is the total opposite, sweet as can be. So really it just depends on their personality. The reason I have 3 females now is because my original female is super social and is much happier when she has a tankmate. She and the other girls are always right next to each other in the tank. As long as you have the tank space and you keep them well fed, they do fine.

Axolou

Reaction score
I love your hides! Where did you get them??
I got them on Amazon but you can probably get them from other places too! I just searched for ceramic hides or fish safe ceramic tubes. the sizes are roughly: (3 pipe stack on the left) 22cm x 17.5cm x 14cm (singular tube right) 25cm x 8.5cm. The axolotls are roughly 15cm and 18cm long and they absolutely love the hides. Just make sure you lightly sand down any inconsistencies in the ceramic and give them a good wash so any dust and stuff comes off. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!