Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Which one first?

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
So, this week I am getting some I.a.apuanus eggs. I have a 20gal which I will use when they grow, it is all setup and is cycled. And I also have a 3gal which I was originally going to use for the hatching and small larval period and then switch them into the 20gal, should I do this? I was considering putting them straight into the 20gal and using that, but I figured I would just loose them! What do you think?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you use the 3 gallon just be extremely careful the temperature doesn't get out of hand. I use a tank with about 5 gallons in it for raising C. pyrrhogaster babies, but it is in a cool part of the house and in any case C. pyrrho's are far more tolerant of higher temps. The real plus to using a small tank is that you can monitor their feeding quite easily, but temps can climb very rapidly in a small tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1