which pellets are the best

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Country
United States
what kind of pellets work best for axolotls? I've tryed allot of different pellets but they don't allways seem to like what I give them.

pellets

soft salmon pellets are supposed to be good for axolotls or you can buy axolotl pellets online. I personally don't use them as i find my axies don't really like them and I have found them spat back out so i ceased giving them. You can't beat live food for axolotls, i give mine garden worms, slugs, snails, woodlice(slaters),the odd centipede(crush the head and tail), bloodworm and a variety of meats (prawn, liver, fish). :D

how does liver do in the water in the tank? is it messy?

liver

it depends on the size of the piece of liver, I cut mine fairly small (wormsized) and they always take it as a whole piece.They never refuse liver and i never have a problem feeding it, they absolutely adore it, I suppose it has the same sort of feel as a worm slimy and wriggly.

The main problem with raw meat is that some people don't rinse the blood of before feeding it to their axolots; or if its frozen, will just feed it frozen rather than defrost and rinse it. This adds to the bioload (waste) in the tank. As long as you're not feeding meat as a primary/staple food, just occasionally, and don't leave any uneaten/regurgitated food in the tank for more than a few hours, it should be fine

Raw liver is not messy, but it's not the best nutrition. It should be used only as a "treat".

The soft salmon pellets are very good. I know of two places you can buy them: AGSC and Michael Shrom.

I use a brand of carnivorous fish pellets made for commercial aquaculture of trout, salmon, and the like. It's called Aquamax. I use the "fingerling" trout sized pellets for my juveniles that are just starting to take pelleted food (approximately 2" long axies) and then when they reach 4 inches I feed them on the floating pellets. I've gotten a few of my other aquatic caudates (including: T.marms, T.cristatus, P.waltl, Siren intermedia, and C.pyrrhogaster) to eat them as well. I've only been able to find it in bulk, so you'd need to get 10 pound bags or more.

I use New Life Spectrum. You can look at the pics of my axolotls and judge for yourself. From a previous thread we determined it was not ideal based on Vitamin A levels so I also use Hikari Massivore Delite. Even if you don't use them at such high percentages in their diet like I do, I highly recommend giving each a shot and seeing for yourself what they do for your axolotls.

I think the best food are earthworms, because the tank is less dirty then you feeding with pellets. Thera are my primaryfood.
But salmon pellets has lots of vitamins witch other food not really include. Also I'm feeding forms as primaryfood and pellets as an goody. Liver is only a food to help an ill axolotl to get more wight an vitamins. So take care that your axo does not get to fat.

Regards Wynn

High quality pellets are very good at keeping waste down. They usually hold together well while being eaten, and since they are more nutritious more is absorbed as it goes through the digestive tract, so less comes out the other end. High quality pellets also have lots of additional supplements, as opposed to live, frozen, and other 'whole' foods.

I pretty much stick to soft moist salmon pellets. I've found that if you jump around with foods it can cause digestive problems in the animals.

yea these pellets are awesome...it took awhile for some of my axolotls to adapt to them...but the ones that sctrictly only eat pellets are loving them.....soft salmon pellets are great....!

pellets

soft salmon pellets are supposed to be good for axolotls or you can buy axolotl pellets online. I personally don't use them as i find my axies don't really like them and I have found them spat back out so i ceased giving them. You can't beat live food for axolotls, i give mine garden worms, slugs, snails, woodlice(slaters),the odd centipede(crush the head and tail), bloodworm and a variety of meats (prawn, liver, fish). :D
Old post I realize, but new, setting up tank, don’t have axie yet. Investigating food options. Some blogger raving about New Life Spectrum trout and salmon pellets. Can’t even find them . Thanks for your info.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back