White bubbles like soap lining the waterline in tank???

basilstorm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last night I noticed the entire rim of the tank at the waterline was covered in small white bubbles. It looked almost like soap or a chemical in the water, so I did a 50% water change today and scooped all bubbles out. Was wondering if anyone knew the cause? Water parameters are all normal:
pH: 8.0 (my water is always slightly basic, axolotl seems fine with it)
ammonia: between 0 and .25 ppm
nitrite: about 0 ppm
nitrate: between 10 and 20 ppm

My temperature has been stable at 62-65* F. I do a 30 to 50 percent water change every week and test my parameters once every two weeks. Axolotl seems unbothered by the bubbles, but he doesn't usually go to the top of the tank anyways. The only things that go into the water are prime, hikari sinking nuggets, and occasionally small frozen bloodworm cubes as treats. I clean out uneaten food and poop twice a day. Decorations are scrubbed with warm water and a new, clean sponge (kept in my room to make sure no one in the house uses soap on it). I don't know any way that there could be a chemical or soap in the water, but the bubbles didn't seem to be just air as I put a sample in a cup overnight and they didn't go away. Other threads suggested maybe the filter outflow was too high above the water, so I made sure to refill the tank with conditioned water to slightly above the bottom of the outflow spot. Other threads also said it could be cycling/ammonia issues, but this tank has been cycled since January and my axie has been in it since February 9th.

Does anyone know what the cause could be? Again, the axolotl didn't seem stressed out by the bubbles at all, gills and tail are normal, he's very active but not more than usual as he's still a juvenile. The bubbles haven't returned since I changed the water this morning. Should I do water changes twice a week for now?

Linkisnotzelda

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m no expert but I’ve had a similar problem before, which, after some investigations, I discovered three different possibilities:
My axolotl is about 6 months old and loves to try to eat my plants and disrupt them, even uprooting them sometimes while trying to crawl around. This activity seemed to cause weird bubbles on the surface, but I’m pretty sure these were air bubbles
It always could be caused by the food, sinking pellets sometimes create bubbles, but again, probably air ones.
I think the most likely cause of your bubble outbreak, and what I’m pretty sure caused mine, was that some type of soap did get in the water. With all of sanitizing we are doing, soap residue can be almost anywhere and even if you do wash your hands before placing them in the tank, it still can get in there.
if the bubble don’t come back, or do periodically but are easy to scoop out, then soap or oils in the water was the likely cause of the bubbles. Hope this helps!

kaixingin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m no expert but I’ve had a similar problem before, which, after some investigations, I discovered three different possibilities:
My axolotl is about 6 months old and loves to try to eat my plants and disrupt them, even uprooting them sometimes while trying to crawl around. This activity seemed to cause weird bubbles on the surface, but I’m pretty sure these were air bubbles
It always could be caused by the food, sinking pellets sometimes create bubbles, but again, probably air ones.
I think the most likely cause of your bubble outbreak, and what I’m pretty sure caused mine, was that some type of soap did get in the water. With all of sanitizing we are doing, soap residue can be almost anywhere and even if you do wash your hands before placing them in the tank, it still can get in there.
if the bubble don’t come back, or do periodically but are easy to scoop out, then soap or oils in the water was the likely cause of the bubbles. Hope this helps!
Interesting... I am also getting some foam at the corners of my tank by the filter output. Someone also mentioned overdosing on dechlorinator which, in smaller tanks, is really easy to do. I guess it depends on what kind of bubbles were talking about xD

basilstorm

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you’re right about soap residue, there’s usually a little bit of bubbles from the filter but never that much, and they usually are not easy to scoop like that. Must have somehow gotten on a decoration when I was cleaning, because I washed them all again to be sure with just water from the faucet and the problem went away

Linkisnotzelda

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm glad! I know whenever I see something odd in my tank, I freak out! We all want what's best for our axies!😁

faebugz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think you’re right about soap residue, there’s usually a little bit of bubbles from the filter but never that much, and they usually are not easy to scoop like that. Must have somehow gotten on a decoration when I was cleaning, because I washed them all again to be sure with just water from the faucet and the problem went away
Do you use soap on the decorations at all? Soap tends to slick and stick to things, despite rinsing. A safer way to clean things would be either boiling water, or diluted bleach soaks.

If it's safe to boil, just throw it in a pot and boil for 5-10m. I do this for new substrate and rocks.
For everything else new, including plants, they get put in a bleach bath for 30 minutes. I dilute it 19:1 water:bleach. Surprisingly, this is the safest thing to do. Bleach washes off pretty easy (also kills parasites/diseases that can stick to plants), so rinsing well and soaking again in pure water gets all the bleach off.

Although if you're just cleaning stuff from the tank, beneficial bacteria grows on everything so it's best just to rinse it in tank water gently and put back, no need to deep clean.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
    Naxuzi: Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate... +2