White film

AxieNerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently have a 20 gal tank with 1 axolotl and 1 30% water change per week. I noticed recently that there was a very large gathering of white film all over the surface of the tank. I have not noticed it until this afternoon and it was very cloudy. Any thought on what it is would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 053C5DAF-E7EF-4683-B456-92A6B961F438.jpeg
    053C5DAF-E7EF-4683-B456-92A6B961F438.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 422
it's quite normal to have a film over glass and objects in an aquarium, the majority of times it is algae and is a sign of a healthy tank, just use a glass scraper.
if the water itself is going cloudy then this can be a sign of bacteria bloom if the inhabitants have been over fed or the biological filtration has been damaged, if it is algae bloom then that can be caused by over feeding or by too much light.
a sudden spike in temperature can encourage both algae and bacteria to grow.

Thank you for helping me identify it. We recently had a temp spike but it was brought back down and has been stable since, it is next to a window so it gets plenty of light. His bio filtration has been working great and all parameters are stable and healthy. Thank you for your response

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back