Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White fluff on my new axie's gills

Lynn claire

Reaction score
Hi, so anyways i just got my axolotl as i said on my previous thread so im very worried cus he's my very first axie and i dont want it to get sick. So this morning while i was feeding him i saw this white fluff on its gills and i started to panick and i researched on how to treat these and it says that i should give salt baths for at least a week and i have no idea what is causing this so please if anyone could help me figure out why and maybe some tips or advice? Thank you so much

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Hi, so anyways i just got my axolotl as i said on my previous thread so im very worried cus he's my very first axie and i dont want it to get sick. So this morning while i was feeding him i saw this white fluff on its gills and i started to panick and i researched on how to treat these and it says that i should give salt baths for at least a week and i have no idea what is causing this so please if anyone could help me figure out why and maybe some tips or advice? Thank you so much
If you could take and attach a couple photos, it would help identify if it is in fact a fungal infection. Salt baths are very harsh and can cause more harm than good if done incorrectly so lets make sure that is the best course of treatment first. Also, what are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH)? Size tank? temperature?

Lynn claire

Reaction score
If you could take and attach a couple photos, it would help identify if it is in fact a fungal infection. Salt baths are very harsh and can cause more harm than good if done incorrectly so lets make sure that is the best course of treatment first. Also, what are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH)? Size tank? temperature?
Heres some pics! And yes i measured water parameters, it was totally fine. For tank size, i use a 20 gallon long tank and temperature about 16-18°c
20210203_135735.jpg

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Heres some pics! And yes i measured water parameters, it was totally fine. For tank size, i use a 20 gallon long tank and temperature about 16-18°c View attachment 87073
It definitely looks like fungus. Fungus can be treated a couple ways. Salt baths or tea baths. Salt baths are much harsher, but generally work a little quicker. My preferred method personally are tea baths first since they dont strip them of slime coat or damage their gills.

Generally the rule for salt baths are 2-3 tsp of non-iodized salt per liter of water. Youll want 3 tubs. One with the salt solution, one as a rinse tub to get as much salt off as possible, and a third tub to house them in while be treated. 10 minute treatments once or twice per day is usually plenty.

Tea baths are performed using dilute black tea. Black tea has natural tannins that provide antifungal and antibacterial properties. They are also more soothing to their skin. If you wish to try the tea method, brew one bag of plain black tea (check the ingredients to make sure there are no spices or anything mixed in) in 8 oz of hot water for about 5-10 mins. Then dilute the tea in cold water until it is a light amber brown color. They can stay in the tea dilution for hours with no problem. Again, treat daily until the fungus is gone.

Lynn claire

Reaction score
It definitely looks like fungus. Fungus can be treated a couple ways. Salt baths or tea baths. Salt baths are much harsher, but generally work a little quicker. My preferred method personally are tea baths first since they dont strip them of slime coat or damage their gills.

Generally the rule for salt baths are 2-3 tsp of non-iodized salt per liter of water. Youll want 3 tubs. One with the salt solution, one as a rinse tub to get as much salt off as possible, and a third tub to house them in while be treated. 10 minute treatments once or twice per day is usually plenty.

Tea baths are performed using dilute black tea. Black tea has natural tannins that provide antifungal and antibacterial properties. They are also more soothing to their skin. If you wish to try the tea method, brew one bag of plain black tea (check the ingredients to make sure there are no spices or anything mixed in) in 8 oz of hot water for about 5-10 mins. Then dilute the tea in cold water until it is a light amber brown color. They can stay in the tea dilution for hours with no problem. Again, treat daily until the fungus is gone.
Thank youuuuuuuu

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1