Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White <i>retardatus</i>

H

henk

This year again I had a white retardatus larvae swimming around the rest and I managed to set it apart. Hope that this year I will be able to rear it...

39505.jpg

39506.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Amazing little creature, Henk!
I'm keen to see how it will turn out.
Please follow up on those pics from time to time.

H. retardatus larvae are really a joy to raise and sometimes develop wonderful coloration. It's too bad that the adults normally aren't so stunning. This year's morphs of mine though are more golden compared with the last two years' morphs. Very attractive!

H

henk

Yes retardatus juveniles are IMHO the most beautifull hynobius animals. Too bad indeed they loose that brassy coloration which resemble Aneides ferreus coloration alot.

TJ

Reaction score
So, Henk, did the larvae survive and how's it turn out?

My stunning H. retardatus from this year have since lost their brilliant coloration...
sad.gif

(Message edited by TJ on October 22, 2005)

H

henk

Well my larvae is still around and growing . It's set in an escape free enclosure... I should make some new shots. My retardatus juveniles of the 2nd genetic group have not lost their brassy patterns... some of the parents still have alot (not as much as the juveniles though). I have added some shots on my living underworld site. But I will see if I can post some more here.

H

henk

Well Tim it is an adorable guy ! I'll try to take shots on my pale colored H. quelpartensis and white larvae this weekend , hope I'll succeed since I've got a well filled weekend.

henk_wallays

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Coming back to this issue, I now have 2 of those white (large) larvae. One of which is now over 4 years old (about 12 cm) and the other just 2 years. I'm intruiged to see if I will get some extra ones with tihs years breeding or not ...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!