Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White specks

M

meghan

My young cousin got some sort of green elongated type frog for christmas and I noticed white specks/bumps on it's back. At first I thought perhaps it was little flakes of styrofoam from the store packaging around the tank but on closer inspection, I think it's some sort of fungus growth. I'm concerned since he got this frog for christmas and every time I'm there, I check in on the little guy to see if these specks have resolved themselves. I suspect it's going to require treatment since there's no change. Any advice of what it is and what he can do?

K

kyle

Sounds like a Green Treefrog or possibly even a Redeye Treefrog. The white specks occur naturally, and are nothing to worry about. Not to say that this is for sure not some type of fungus, but chances are it is not if the frog is still alive and healthy now. If the frog doesn't eat well, and is overly lethargic when it should be active (at night), then there would be more to worry about.

If it appears to be growing, or is raised above the skin, then it would definitely be fungus. If it is 'one' with the skin, than that indicates that everything is fine.

E

edward

Unless they are one of the nodules formed by a mycobacterial, fungal or protozoal infection. In which case the nodules are not open lesions and can only be diagnosed by biopsy.
There are some species that have white flecks as part of thier normal pigmentation such as the two Kyle mentioned but it is also possible that it is an infection of some type. It is probably nothing but then again without a check up, we can't be sure.

Ed

M

meghan

The bumps are raised and contained under a thin layer of skin which made me think it's a fungus of some sort. I don't think it's part of pigmentation. A gross example of what it resembles is raised pus filled zits. What sort of treatment is administered for fungus?

M

meghan

I'll be sure to post a picture next week when I visit them again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1