Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White spots/ fungus on Firebelly

landonewts

Reaction score
I have a firebelly newt, Snoball, who is over 27 years old. She has developed white spots - fungus? - on her cheeks, and on one eye. It's hard to photograph her, but I have tried to get some pictures. I really want to help her - any ideas?

In mother thread, when I'm less worried, I will tell you stories of my two oldest newts, Fluffy and Snoball - but for now, please help me cure my little gal!

Thanks!

:cool:

Attachments

• Snoball1.jpg
    Snoball1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 362
  • Snoball2.jpg
    Snoball2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 437
  • Snoball3.jpg
    Snoball3.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 595

sde

Reaction score
When I looked at one of your pictures in your album I saw that it had a bit of white on it in the same place, and that picture was put up in February. So I think maybe it has had this white area for a while but has been getting more noticeable? It is hard to tell from the pictures, but I don't think its fungus, and it doesn't look like a sore....I am not really sure what it is? Maybe it is just losing its color a bit?
Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

landonewts

Reaction score
The spots have come and gone before, but they are back and aren't going away. I am concerned because she has a spot on her eye, and it looks like a fungus or skin condition rather than pigment loss. I have seen other posts about treating the water with some sort of leaf, but cannot find them now.

She is housed with a rough-skinned newt, and they have been together so long - almost 28 years and counting - I don't have the heart to separate them now, even though I now know species mixing is not advised. Could the toxins in the rough skin newt's skin be causing this?

Has anyone else seen something like this, and/or know how to treat it? I've had her for so long, I don't want to fail her.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If her environment and water conditions are correct it could just be a result of extreme old age. It's not a common symptom of anything I know of, it looks like a fungal infection of some kind if I had to guess. I think if she was mine I would take her to a vet and find out for sure, at least that way you would know if your other newts are likely to be at risk.
A good way of finding a vet experienced in treating exotics is call a regular vet and ask who they recommend.

Last edited:

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Though, personally, I would separate the 2 different newt species.

landonewts

Reaction score
I have gotten some good advice by emailing around. The first thing I'm trying is isolating this newt in a small, clean tank that is mostly land (the one she's in is mostly water) keep her super clean, and see if her fungus clears up in a week or so. Will keep you all posted, in case this is useful info.

Thanks for everyone's help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!