Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White stuff growing on axis

Reaction score
I have a filter on my tank and have been changing the water once a week. I have just noticed white stuff growing on one of his gills and tail. What is it and how do I get rid of it? Help!!

Reaction score
10469920_869617433051150_843595233107581347_n.jpg

988420_869617449717815_9114918341560715568_n.jpg

Shell2842

Reaction score
From the pictures, it looks like it could be a very early start to a fungus. Although its hard to tell with an albino and those pictures with it being that tiny!

My suggestion would be to first see if you can very gently remove whatever this "white stuff" is with a Q-tip. Keeping him/her in cool clean water and see what comes of it.

Fungus can be deadly is not caught fast enough and treated. Right now, from the pictures it looks very tiny - so whatever it is, whether it be fungus or not - you're catching it in time.

Reaction score
I put him in a salt bath, 2 teaspoons of non-iodized salt mixed with 1 litre of spring water. He is in the fridge right now at 5' C to keep the fungus from spreading. Is this okay? I read some of the other posts about this kind of stuff on here, and that what was mostly suggested. Hope he gets better. I will try taking it off with a Q-tip tomorrow morning..

Shell2842

Reaction score
If you do a salt bath it should only be done for a short period of time while you monitor him. 10-15 min max! Then back to regular water. Any longer burns their skin.

As for fridging - if it's not serious I try to not fridge because it's very stressful on them.

Reaction score
Yeah, I only put him in for 10 minutes and I timed it on a timer so that I did not go over the time. Should I take him out of the fridge?

Shell2842

Reaction score
You can leave him in there since he's already there. Make sure there's a towel over his container so the opening and closing of the door (light) doesn't bother him. Keep us updated on his condition!

Shell2842

Reaction score
That should be fine. Just make sure to put water in the fridge - so when you change the water out tomorrow it's the same temp! You don't wanna shock him with room temp water when he's been in very cold water all night.

Reaction score
I tried using a Q-tip to remove some of the stuff, but it didn't come off.. it seems like it's attached to the skin. His one frilly thing is white from whatever this stuff is but it hasn't seemed to spread to any of his other ones yet and there are still only the few spots on his back. Any other suggestions to prevent the spread or get rid of this stuff?

Shell2842

Reaction score
Does this white stuff look fluffy or 3D? If it does, that's definitely fungus. If it's not, like it's looking flush with the skin it could be something else. Possible a weird growth? Any chance of getting a better picture?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!