Why?

Scott4462

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had my axolotl for around 3 months now, he has recently started hanging at the top of the tank around the filter, he has never done this before I've read it can be normal behavior, or impaction. I recently added nightcrawlers to his diet and this is around the time he started doing this. Can this be normal, or is he impacted?

I've had my axolotl for around 3 months now, he has recently started hanging at the top of the tank around the filter, he has never done this before I've read it can be normal behavior, or impaction. I recently added nightcrawlers to his diet and this is around the time he started doing this. Can this be normal, or is he impacted?
Is he exhibiting any other out-of-the-ordinary symptoms such as floating with his butt in the air, struggling to reach either the bottom or the top, not eating, being sluggish, curled gills/tail, etc?

What had you been feeding him previously and how often? How often does he usually poop and when did he last do it? When did you start on the nightcrawlers? How much does he eat of that food and how often?

Is there anything in the tank (either smaller than his head or something which could break off of a larger object) he may have swallowed such as gravel, plants, wood, etc.?

Pictures of your tank and axolotl would be helpful.

No there is no substrate. I have been feeding him pellets and shrimp, which is kept in the freezer. His decor is all rubber plants. I just started to not crawlers a couple of days ago the first piece I gave him was rather large I don't think I cut it up small enough, he isn't exhibiting any other behavior out of the ordinary and he is not struggling to go back down to the bottom. He poops regular at least once every 2 days for sure. What else is they said is he exhibiting any other symptoms, he just pooped this morning and he just ate some of his pellets.

Attachments

• 16230601899791543733174219610635.jpg
    16230601899791543733174219610635.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 123
  • 1623060230507272586658492730893.jpg
    1623060230507272586658492730893.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 84
No there is no substrate. I have been feeding him pellets and shrimp, which is kept in the freezer. His decor is all rubber plants. I just started to not crawlers a couple of days ago the first piece I gave him was rather large I don't think I cut it up small enough, he isn't exhibiting any other behavior out of the ordinary and he is not struggling to go back down to the bottom. He poops regular at least once every 2 days for sure. What else is they said is he exhibiting any other symptoms, he just pooped this morning and he just ate some of his pellets.
Some new loofahs in front of his filter to stop water flow and he seems to hang around the new loafers a lot and he's never done that before. He still acts fine he is responsive and alert.

Attachments

• 15628.jpeg
    15628.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 15626.jpeg
    15626.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 83
Some new loofahs in front of his filter to stop water flow and he seems to hang around the new loafers a lot and he's never done that before. He still acts fine he is responsive and alert.

Attachments

• 15630.jpeg
    15630.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
i don't really know anything about axolotls but could it be an oxygen issue? if the water flow is low, and there are no live plants, then oxygen levels will greatly depend on temperature, which i always assumed is a big part of why most cantatas do poorly in warm water and tend to leave the water when it gets too warm. i have no idea though, but him hanging around the filter just sounds like an oxygen issue to me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back