Why????

AxieFantasy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Okay so my Axolotls gills almost always curl forward a bit whenever he eats, he shows no signs of stress, has no fungus, and always eats all his food. I don’t know why he gets curled gills when he eats, does anyone know why?
image.jpg

Probably just natural. If it was a stress curl, then he wouldn't likely be eating either.

hook/curled tail, arched back, flushed skin are a better sign of stress/issues as sometimes the gills just seem to curl slightly forwards but are totally fine.
looking at the photo there isn't any signs at the moment that show that your axolotl is stressed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back