Wild fruit flies

Mcarril

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it okay to catch wild fruit flies for my baby frogs?

Salamanderfire

Reaction score
Country
Germany
AW: Wild fruit flies

Yes, if they didn't get in contact with insecticides or pesticides, wild fruit flies are safe. At least I don't know any reason why they should not be safe.

When my salamanders were small, I fed them quite often fruit flies from our compost heap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi If you use wild caught fruit flies from the compost heap as I do as well . Try putting them in the fridge in a plastic box for an hour or two first . It slows them down and they cant fly until they warm up. Small newts can then fill themselves up with them. regards KB

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Looolllllll
    +1
    Unlike
  • Axiegel & Edgar:
    i need help!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    With?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    @Axiegwhats el & Edgar,
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    What is wrong?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hi guys, I was wondering if I possibly crashed my tanks cycle? I’ve had a cycling tank for months now, changing 25% water weekly. I never had any problem until a few days ago when I did a 50% water change. I did this because the tank was looking extra dirty for some reason and also I siphoned too much water out trying to vacuum the sand. I noticed since that water change, my axolotl has been hiding more, barely eating, and only moving from time to time. I checked the water perimeters and they are .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. I normally have 0 ammonia, I haven’t had above 0 since I was first cycling the tank. Did I make an error or is this just a fluke? What should I do?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Im worried about my lil girl, she’s normally fairly active and a pig when it comes to food. Should I tub her until I figure out the tank situation? Am I overreacting lol?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Also, she is about a year old. Her tail is perfectly straight and her gills are perky (not curled forward). She’s looking perfectly fine, just acting weird
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Sorry one more thing, when I changed the water last I removed a few plastic plants that I realized were taking up too much room. Would the removal of the bacteria on the plants mess it up?
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Maybe, I’m not to sure. I’ve done lots of research when i got my baby axolot. Maybe she is just adjusting to the new tank?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    JoyJiang has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    mavrixwk has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Robpod86:
    What can I do to help my tiger that is bloated. Been bloated for 2 months. Ty
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Tiger..?
    +1
    Unlike
  • SubZero:
    Tiger = Tiger Salamandrr its tiring to type the whole thing
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Oh ok, I dont know anything about those, I’m an axolotl owner sorry
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Urgent: My nitrates shot up to 80 ppm. I have no idea why and I’m freaking out. Should I put my axolotl in a tub????
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nioa:
    @Toothpickthelotl, I definitely would. And then do a big water change
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    @Nioa, ok, do you know why it might’ve spiked? I just did a water change a few days ago and tested all the perimeters and it was at 10 nitrate
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    i have never had nitrates so high
    +1
    Unlike
    Toothpickthelotl: i have never had nitrates so high +1