Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wildlife Biologist in Training

mkelly

Reaction score
Hi-
I am Mckenzie. I am located in New York State. I am currently in school to get degree in wildlife biology, and have a particular interest in herps. I have owned a couple of the fish tanks in the past, along with a bearded dragon (whom I adopted/rescued). I am now looking into getting a newt, and a hog-nosed snake once I move into my new apartment.

There are a couple of newts of interest Triturus marmoratus (marbled newt), or an Ichthyosaura alpestris (alpine newt). I am leaning towards the marbled newt because I love green and orange, and I am leaning towards a western hognose, as with my love of amphibians I do not want to have to feed frogs.

My biggest concern is however making sure that I can get my pets captive bred. There is a variety of reasons for this, but it is important to me.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Hi-
I am Mckenzie. I am located in New York State. I am currently in school to get degree in wildlife biology, and have a particular interest in herps. I have owned a couple of the fish tanks in the past, along with a bearded dragon (whom I adopted/rescued). I am now looking into getting a newt, and a hog-nosed snake once I move into my new apartment.

There are a couple of newts of interest Triturus marmoratus (marbled newt), or an Ichthyosaura alpestris (alpine newt). I am leaning towards the marbled newt because I love green and orange, and I am leaning towards a western hognose, as with my love of amphibians I do not want to have to feed frogs.

My biggest concern is however making sure that I can get my pets captive bred. There is a variety of reasons for this, but it is important to me.

Welcome. I agree that captive bred is best. Luckily, the species you're interested in are readily available captive bred. I have three alpine newts myself. They're a great species.

mkelly

Reaction score
Welcome. I agree that captive bred is best. Luckily, the species you're interested in are readily available captive bred. I have three alpine newts myself. They're a great species.
Any suggestion on where to get them (being the marbled newts)? I am concerned about getting them from 'too' far away as I don't want them to have to go through the stress of a long shipping time. It seems like many of the places/people selling them are located at least 1,000 miles away from me (ie. FL, CA, TX)

MnGuy

Reaction score
Any suggestion on where to get them (being the marbled newts)? I am concerned about getting them from 'too' far away as I don't want them to have to go through the stress of a long shipping time. It seems like many of the places/people selling them are located at least 1,000 miles away from me (ie. FL, CA, TX)

Sorry. I'm in Minnesota and don't know what's close to you. I've seen them for sale on this site and on fauna classifieds, but as you noted, they are usually offered from far flung locales.

Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1