Will Axolotls escape from tank?

ntny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ntny
Hi folks,

just seeking advice from experienced keepers and experts here.
We all know that caudates will somehow escape from uncovered tanks.
Will Axolotls climb out to land and escape from tank?

i currently have a tank with clearance of 3-4 inch above water level.
can Axolotls actually escape such a setup? :confused:

thanks

i've read a few times that they can jump out of tanks so I would suggest getting a cover.

It is possible. On occasion when an axolotl is startled they do launch them selves out of the water, they do not take into consideration that they are in a confined space and can fall outside the tank. Ideally a screen lid should be placed on top.

Last edited:
one of mine jumped out of his tank once while i was in work, found him stuck to the wooden floor!!!! must have been there for hours!!

that was about 8 months ago, he's doing fine, still missing a little bit of his tail tho.

so yes keep the tank covered!

They can jump but rarely do. None of my axolotl or Ambystoma andersoni tanks have covers. I can't remember any ever jumping out.

Poor water quality issues (parameters, high temperatures etc), irritating parasites, aggressive tankmates or being startled are some of the reasons why axies would attempt to jump out. In most circumstances, they tend to restrict to the bottom of the tank.

However, its best to always err on the side of caution and have a tank lid or mesh screen top to prevent this mishap.

thanks folks,

for your advice.
will get a 2ft tumble box with secure cover to prevent escape.

cheers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back