Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Will my floor take the weight?" Question but with a twist.

FireStar

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm quite long-winded. I never know when information are considered irrelevant, so I put it all in.

So my Dad got a little 10m2 shed built out the back.
Which I commandeered and put an axolotl tank in.
The tank I got is taller than normal
It's 1.2m (L) x .4m (W) x .7 (H) --> 336L (I calculated that it's got ~240L of water)
So tank, stand, water, sand, filter, axolotls, deco etc would probably make setup weigh ~360kg

Backyard is on a slope so the shed is on beams and joists (so "second floor").
After ohhing and ahhing and worrying the tank will go through the floor, I set it up and everything is fine.
It's sitting on against a load bearing wall and perpendicular to the floor joists.

Now, we are getting close to my question.
I want to put another tank (.9m (L) x .4m (W) x .4m (H)) on the opposite wall (because powerpoints). Maybe ~200kg setup?
So it will on the opposite load bearing wall but the same perpendicular floor joists.

So, will my floor take the weight?
Does it mean my joists have to take ~560kg and potentially break? Or since the tanks are in separate spots they'll take the weight and be safe?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!