Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Will pet stores test water???

R

rheann

Will pet stores test your water for you? And if they do, how much does it cost or is it free? Also, does the tank water get tested, or do you just bring in water from the tap? I'm curious about this. I saw a post or two about that pet stores will test your water for you.

C

claire

im not sure about pet stores testing water for you (i dont think they do in england but not sure about america). the tank water needs to be tested when testing water. this is to check for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. the tap water can be tested too to check how hard the water is.

cody

Reaction score
most fish shops in australia will do it for free

R

rheann

I would like to see if a pet store could test my water, that way when I change the tank water, or upgrade to a 30 gallon, or perhaps a 20 gallon, They could help me out a bit. My 10 gallon tank is doing pretty good right now, and everything is in order for it right now I am pretty sure, it is still cycling, been cycling over two weeks now, yey!. Just to be safe, I may just take a bit in to them just to make sure, I don't want to make any mistakes and harm my Axolotls. When I get them in, and if i messed up and they died, it would just make me sick. I'll watch them to see what they do, so as to make sure I do it just right, though on my current tank I think I did. Thanks guys so much!

R

rheann

So water needs to be tested daily? Is that because of the Amonia Axolotls release into the water? Thanks again so much for your help!

B

brian

Only needs to be tested daily while it's cycling. After that, weekly or bi-weekly should be fine. Any decent pet store will test your water for free, although I've seen a few around here that charge $2. It's best to have your own ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate kits at least though.

R

rheann

Thanks brian! I wasn't sure if it was during the Cycling or after, because I've been doing it during the Cycling, and it's do'en purty good
smile6.gif
I have really great news! I may be getting My Axie's today! another pet store (one I really trust for sure) got four into day, and they called me this morning to let me know! Not sure if I will get them today, I may just purchase one or two but have them hold on to them a bit longer, as so to make sure my tank will remain in good shape. There is one itty bitty gold fish in the tank that has been contributing to the cycling, but he will be removed proptly before I put any Axolotls in. An Axolotl I think would gobble him up very fast he's so bitty. I will take a sample of my water in and see what this store thinks, and if they think it would be ok for me to take them home today, then I'll do it. I think that I would trust this pet store, almost as much as I trust my vet. Though, if they aren't Axolotls, then I still have one other pet store that is trying to get some in for me. Today is a good day, and I really, really want to make sure I have everything in order. Anyone else have any advise? I hope I haven't missed anything. Thanks again guys for all of your help! Once I get my Axies, I'll see about getting a scanner. Hey, you guys like my profile picture? I drew it in window's paint. lol can't afford Adobe, spend too much on my pets
lol.gif
you guys are great.

cody

Reaction score
For a full test kit in Aus were lookn at nearly $120 for a decent one i found you need a heaps beter bio-nitrogen cycle in an axie tank than a tropical tank the waste from 3 big axies is about 5 time as much as 3 big oscars or big community tank speciely if you feed them twice a day(i only feed mine once a day). I have noticed eva since i got my new tank Thats abouts 6 times larger than there old home there gills are twice as big an furry

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1