Wingless Houseflies?

SnakeDancer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know a source for wingless/flightless houseflies (NOT Drosophila)? Both the maggots and the adults would be great for animals who need larger prey than Drosophila. I could swear I saw these advertised years ago, but no one seems to have them now.

In the summer I sometimes harvest maggots "from the wild" by leaving out a dead mouse (leftover snake food) in a flower box atop my fence. Within a few days there are maggots. This year I'm hoping to try out the black soldier fly culture too. But if I could find the wingless houseflies, that would be a nice all-year source of food....

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joseph S
I've never seen wingless, but have seen "curly winged".

I must admit I am not exactly enthusiastic about them as food. It must be the whole ick and "germy: propaganda.

SnakeDancer

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've never seen wingless, but have seen "curly winged".
I must admit I am not exactly enthusiastic about them as food. It must be the whole ick and "germy: propaganda.

Well, if you're raising them indoors, you know they haven't been grown on anything nasty. :) My geckos love flies, but it's sometimes a bit of a trick to maneuver a fast flying insect into the terrarium without an escape.

I'd be happy to find curly-winged versions, they don't have to be wingless - just flightless. Do you remember where they were available, by chance?

RainFrog

Reaction score
Country
United States
At one time, I believe Arizona Dendrobates Ranch was working with them, but I haven't heard anymore about it in years.

The problem (other than the nasty smell and spread of pathogenic bacteria) is the breeding cycle. Houseflies need significantly more ventilation than drosophila. They cannot be cultured in fruit fly jars. Another problem is getting them to lay eggs. They need something stinky to lay eggs on, and then one must transfer the egg laying site to a jar with medium.

Fishfur

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Have you considered bean beetles ? They are dead easy to raise, needing nothing but dry beans, such as black eye pea, mung or adzuki bean. No water, no food. Adults live about two weeks, black, crawl pretty fast, can be dusted. Don't fly, adults are about a quarter inch long.

AnimlEnthusiast

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been wondering the same thing!
Someone posted some links on my post, that you might also be interested in. :happy:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...need-know-about-flightless-flies-maggots.html

Does anyone know a source for wingless/flightless houseflies (NOT Drosophila)? Both the maggots and the adults would be great for animals who need larger prey than Drosophila. I could swear I saw these advertised years ago, but no one seems to have them now.

In the summer I sometimes harvest maggots "from the wild" by leaving out a dead mouse (leftover snake food) in a flower box atop my fence. Within a few days there are:violent: maggots. This year I'm hoping to try out the black soldier fly culture too. But if I could find the wingless houseflies, that would be a nice all-year source of food....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • xxianxx:
    @axolotl nerd, rads, the cycle has crashed or the tank wasnt fully cycled to start with. Remove the animals to a seperate tank or tub, give 100% daily water changes. It can take a while to cycle a tank if its yr first time.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! We had our first unexpected hot day and I was an idiot and forgot to put on the fan for my axolotl tank. When I came to feed her at around 7, I noticed the tank was 75 degrees!! It has never been this warm, it’s always a stable 67ish without a fan. It was only this warm for today (yesterday it was normal temps), and I immeditately got the fan on when I saw. It is down to 69 degrees now. Is my axie going to be ok with the increase in temperature for a day?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Oh that’s in Fahrenheit by the way, I think in Celsius it almost got up to 24 c if I’m not mistaken
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Axie is showing no signs of stress whatsoever
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    A short temp spike is unlikely to cause any long term probs
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • gemdimps:
    Hi 👋🏻 I am desperately seeking cycling advice
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    NewtPoot has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RCWaterPets has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Carly1502:
    Hi guys, I have a dwarf axolotl. Got him/her in February and since it’s grown to around 4.5 inches it has constantly been constipated. Having to fridge the poor thing every few weeks. Has anyone else got a dwarf and had these problems?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    my cousin has a dwarf, he thankfully doesn’t have such problems. good luck though :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lilith:
    Hey guys, one of my axolotls has developed some fungus on one of her gills, I've started salt baths, but do salt baths need to be done in the fridge, some people said I should have her in the fridge permanently during the process, even when not in the salt bath, is this true? As some people said its unnecessary as long as the tank is below 20°c which it is. Also do I need to get them both out the tank and clean it out?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nagato:
    Does anybody know where I can find Triturus karelinii?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: RobynB27 has joined the room. +1