Won't eat

EmilyP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I have two axolotls from the same clutch from the same pet store they are tubbed in different tubs at the moment as I was told that only a one week cycle would be good enough for them and later found out that it wasn't and have been doing 100% water changes daily, I have had them for about four weeks now and after doign a water change on the 21st august I noticed that Cosmo my wild's gill fluffs had completely diapered throughout the day and he wouldn't eat much if at all. Now he still hasn't eaten and is getting very thin, his tail is also getting thinner does anyone know what could cause it illness or otherwise I took him to the vet and they said it was a fungal infection so they gave me some antifungal but he still didn't eat and started to get worse, the medicine killed my third baby who's coat came off and got stuck to it's gills. The first pic is the 20 of august the second is the 22 august and the third is the 24 august.

Attachments

• Cosmo 20 aug.jpg
    Cosmo 20 aug.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 128
  • Cosmo 22 aug.jpg
    Cosmo 22 aug.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 100
  • Cosmo aug 24.jpg
    Cosmo aug 24.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
Sorry to hear about your babies.

What water conditioner are you using?
What are you feeding?
What are you cleaning the tubs with?
Any other additives to the tubs?

How is cycling going?

Hi guys I have two axolotls from the same clutch from the same pet store they are tubbed in different tubs at the moment as I was told that only a one week cycle would be good enough for them and later found out that it wasn't and have been doing 100% water changes daily, I have had them for about four weeks now and after doign a water change on the 21st august I noticed that Cosmo my wild's gill fluffs had completely diapered throughout the day and he wouldn't eat much if at all. Now he still hasn't eaten and is getting very thin, his tail is also getting thinner does anyone know what could cause it illness or otherwise I took him to the vet and they said it was a fungal infection so they gave me some antifungal but he still didn't eat and started to get worse, the medicine killed my third baby who's coat came off and got stuck to it's gills. The first pic is the 20 of august the second is the 22 august and the third is the 24 august.

Sorry to hear about your babies.

What water conditioner are you using?
What are you feeding?
What are you cleaning the tubs with?
Any other additives to the tubs?

How is cycling going?
I as feeding frozen bloodworms as well as sinking pellets I have also recently got blackworms as well but he hasn't eaten them since I got them.
I a m using haloex tap water safe from waterlife I have been using it for the whole time I have had them. I am rinsing the tubs out with water and making sure that there is nothing left over in the tub before I put fresh water and that is it I have thoroughly cleaned the tub with water from the kettle and gave it a good scrubbing. today before picking Cosmo up from his over night stay at the vet. I don't put anything else in the tub except for pH down but I have been doing that since I got them as well and my other one has been fine. The tank cycle just crashed so I am trying to find a way to recycle it faster.

Last edited:
Does the water conditioner have aloe in it?
Live blackworms?
When you do thorough cleanse add some white vinegar to the hot water
why are you using pH down?

Does the water conditioner have aloe in it?
Live blackworms?
When you do thorough cleanse add some white vinegar to the hot water
why are you using pH down?
no it doesn't I have checked, no I don't clean them with white vinegar I only got them this week and didn't know that I had to clean them. My water pH is around 8 if I don't use it I would prefer not to though

Start using some botanicals like almond leaves they will help naturally lower your pH as does driftwood

and stop using the pH correcter BUT acclimate them back to tap pH over days by using less and less

no it doesn't I have checked, no I don't clean them with white vinegar I only got them this week and didn't know that I had to clean them. My water pH is around 8 if I don't use it I would prefer not to though

Start using some botanicals like almond leaves they will help naturally lower your pH as does driftwood

and stop using the pH correcter BUT acclimate them back to tap pH over days by using less and less
Thank you I will try that

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back