woo hoo H. dunni

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
About an hour ago I was in my basement and 2 H. dunni were wrapping themselves around a stick in their tank. I went back down 10 minutes ago and their is now a sack of eggs hanging from the stick. I have 8 young adults that I imported as juveniles in 2006 in the tank. I really didn't expect breeding from them this year.
Are H. dunni aggressive to their eggs? Should I yank the eggs Henk?
Michael

how big are your guys mike? i've got some from the same batch and need to know if i can get similar results. i didnt chill mine this year so i probably wont get anything but it wuld be nice to know if yours are jumbo compared to mine -to see if size not age matters.

Congrats Mike. Well done!

Fantastic Mike. Nice one. I think that egg sacks can be torn up during a fertilisation frenzy, but once they're done, they leave the eggs alone. I had no problems with my egg sacks when mine bred a couple of years back, and I only moved them to a new tank just before hatching. Mine are all in the water again wanting to breed but I don't have a female this year,.......

Good luck

Chris

how big are your guys mike? i've got some from the same batch and need to know if i can get similar results.

Hi Paris,
They are about 5 inches tip of nose to tip of tail. Their is now a second string of eggs hanging on the stick at the same spot.

Thanks Ralf. I think getting eggs is the easy part. Hopefully they are fertile and I'll have success hatching and raising the larvae.

I've always been oddly intrigued by this species and hope to get one some day.
Could you indulge me with some pics when they hatch(and grow up)?

Congrats Mike!

Are these from the same group that I have?

I wish you the best of luck with rearing the offspring!

Great news, Michael!! What have the temperature parameters been for these guys over the past months?

H. dunni

Felicidades Michael! I am very happy for you. Please keep us posted.

Great news, Michael!! What have the temperature parameters been for these guys over the past months?

I insulated all of the duct work in my basement and have been setting the heat back a little. The temps have been 55F to 60F. They have been in the breeding set up for 2 weeks. The sticks have been in for less than one week.

About half of the eggs are fertile. The larvae are growing pretty fast. So far I've left them in the breeding tank.

Do you have any pictures Michael? I'm itching to see the little ones and the parents. Thanks!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back