Wood for Gray Tree Frogs

C

chris

What type of wood would be best for gray's? I do not have any place to get driftwood. Is there a tree that would be safe, like oak or maple or something? It would not be wet just in humid air.

Thank You

oak should be fine....I have heard maple leeches toxic sap

Oak can leach tannins which can lower the pH significantly. I have used both of these with many species of anurans and caudates with no problems.

Ed

Thank you

I also have some interesting willow branches. could I use those?

Willow will leach salicylic acid. I would not recommend willow if it will be submerged at all. You also need to be careful as willow roots very easily.

Ed

Ed, at least then the frog wouldnt get a headache!

For those that dont get that: Salicylic acid is used in tea and commercial medicines (such as aspirin) as a pain reliever.

If I remember correctly it is also a rooting stimulant for woody plants.

Ed

Any juveniles should be acne free too as Salicylic acid is used in many propriety acne medications

Yes, I heard that acne problems are a big deal in caudates attending highschool ;)

what about some normal bits of cork. that can normally be brought from good reptile shops.
and it has normally been heat treated.

Some general info:
For Salicylic acid is not present in most teas. Most teas contain tannins, which is basically tannic acid with water(technically they are called polyphenols).
Tea-tree (and not tea) extract contains salicylic acid. Willow will also leech salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is indeed used in acne medications, beauty products and in aspirin.

Would manzanita work? I've seen some manzanita branches bleached white by the sun and they are very attractive.

Raj, For general info: I didnt say it was found in all tea. i said its used IN tea as a pain reliever. This tea is made from willow bark.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back