Worm Grunting!

Peyote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have difficulty finding large size Lumbricus terrestris (European common earthworm) for my hungry adult axolotl - without digging up my garden, which destroys the soil structure in the longer term. I came across "Worm Grunting" on youtube! I tried it in my garden and got 7 large worms to jump out of the ground after about 10 minutes 'grunting'. The technique involves mimicking the digging action of moles by rubbing a flat metal bar on the top of a wooden stob hammered into the ground. It seems some species of worm are programmed to avoid by escaping onto the surface. Herring gulls around here use a similar mole-mimmick technique with their feet and get good results!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0YjFT8F7RU

PLOS ONE: Worm Grunting, Fiddling, and Charming

I have tried this before as well, it didn't work as well as i'd hoped. What i have found works better for me is to take a pitchfork, stick it in the ground and move it back and forth. I am not sure why it works better, but it seems to.
Either way it is a neat trick to have if you get your worms from outdoors.

I might try something similar to this. I know that digging a large hole also works to find worms..but a lot harder. The worms come out because of the disturbances in the soil.

When at school now over 40 years ago I recall doing a silly dance on the lawn much in the same way seagulls do to get the worms to surface I was told at the time it was to mimic rainfall?I also recall making up sum soapy water to poor on the grass to get the worms to surface.Now I cheat and buy mine .

There is a method used by soil biologists to make the worms come out out the soil : melting a mustard pot with 10 l. water and watering 1 square meter soil. Then wait for the worms. I don't know if they make them tasty ! :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back