Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wormery

Boo boo

Reaction score
I have had my Axolotl about 8 days and moved him on to worms as the shop was using pellets.
He loves them , I got them on mail order but my question is would I be better off starting a wormery.

CrazyForLotls

Reaction score
I have had my Axolotl about 8 days and moved him on to worms as the shop was using pellets.
He loves them , I got them on mail order but my question is would I be better off starting a wormery.
It's really up to you. In the long run, it would be cheaper to grow your own. However, you'd have to learn how to do so, and buy the equipment. It's not very expensive to start, it just requires maintenance. Or you could just buy worms every so often. The only thing with that is that you don't know if the worms are sick or not. It's easier to control what they eat and monitor for illness if you raise them yourself. At least that's what I think.. You might want to wait for an expert to come along and help add to this. I was interested in raising my own so I did some research, but I wasn't allowed to in the end.

Boo boo

Reaction score
I'm lucky the place I got from only sell worms and ground bait and the boss has told me she is happy for me to start a wormery .
The last batch I brought cost me £7 , a stater kit starts at £19.

CrazyForLotls

Reaction score
I'm lucky the place I got from only sell worms and ground bait and the boss has told me she is happy for me to start a wormery .
The last batch I brought cost me £7 , a stater kit starts at £19.
I would advise you do some research then see if you really need to buy a starter kit. Sometimes its a lot cheaper to DIY things :) I'm in the US so I'm not really sure how much money that is. Of course, the final decision is up to you

JM29

Reaction score
Making a wormery is rather easy.
You can make one simply with 3 plastic boxes : one for worms and their food (vegetable peels and other vegetal matters), another for fine dirt under it and the last below for liquids.

The main problem is chosing the right worm species.
Wormeries work well with compost worms which often produce repulsive substances axolotls don't like.
Genus Dendrobaena is a bit more palatable than genus Eisenia.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1