Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worms? and black spot

Jeff93

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have posted here in awhile hope everyone and their axolotls are doing well!

I have a couple questions we have had our axolotl Tarochan for about 3 years now. He is doing well eating, pooping regularly etc. Today when we did his water change we noticed a ton of small brownish worms on the side of the tank in one corner.
Not in the water but above it on the side probably like 20+ of them. (As far as we know we have never had these before) We cleaned out as much as we could see and did the water change, We have no gravel or live plants just the same wood, stones and hide he has had for the 3 years. Please see attached picture if anyone can identify these critters and if they are harmful to him and or us at all?

Secondly I noticed under Tarochan's face he has had this black spot for like maybe 6+ months now I just noticed it one day it has not changed gotten bigger or smaller and doesn't seem to affect him at all. Please see attached picture if anyone does know what it is?

Thank you for much for any and all advice.

Attachments

• spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 290
  • Tchan.jpg
    Tchan.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 71
  • worm.jpg
    worm.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 68

wolfen

Reaction score
the worms look like planaria worms although someone else on the forum might have a better idea.
as to the spot this can be totally normal, a bit like a mel having white spots.

Jeff93

Reaction score
Thank youy for you advice, I'll keep an eye on the spot but I agree I think it's harmless. I googled the planaria worm, I'm not sure if it is indeed those? Today we wiped all on the top and underside of the tank and found there was more worms (Not as many as yesterday maybe 10 or so) We cleaned as much as we could find.
There is some hardwater stains on the top of the tank they seem to be in as well. We are gonna keep cleaning and removing all we see. Anyone else have any of ideas on what they could be? They don't seem to be in the water at all just on the upper glass under the frame mainly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1