Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Would love some cycling help and advice for new axolotl tank set up.

LaraCs223

Reaction score
Hi, I would like some advice on my tank that I have prepared for an axolotl.
First off, I can’t afford a chiller atm so are there any other reliable low cost ways to maintain cold water? At the moment the tank is reaching a temperature of 25c during the day. In winter I don’t think I will need extra cooling.
Also I am struggling with the cycling. It has been cycling since early December and I’ve recorded ammonia and nitrates but have never had a nitrite spike as far as I know. Right now the parameters are ph (7.5) ammonia (0.25) nitrite (0) and nitrate (5ppm). Does this mean the tank is cycled or do I have a water issue? I only started doing at home tests 3 weeks ago so there could have been nitrites before.
I will attach a picture of the tank, does it look good for an axolotl? It is 65L and 2ft long, how many Axolotls do you think I can stock in it?
The tank has had snails from the live plants. They laid heaps of eggs a couple days ago which I took out because I do not want a snail overload haha.
Sorry in advanced if I am doing something completely wrong that will harm the axolotl. Any advice will be appreciated thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 4,189

axolotlnewtlover

Reaction score
Hi! I think you should replace the gravel with a fine sand as the axolotls can eat it and it will cause impaction. You can freeze a water bottle in the freezer and sink it in the tank. Or, attach icepacks to the tank. Your water parameters look fine, other than the ammonia. Add some beneficial bacteria to your tank to help dilute ammonia or just do water changes (with dechlorinated water) This tank can fit at least 1 axolotl. Good luck! :D

LaraCs223

Reaction score
Hi! I think you should replace the gravel with a fine sand as the axolotls can eat it and it will cause impaction. You can freeze a water bottle in the freezer and sink it in the tank. Or, attach icepacks to the tank. Your water parameters look fine, other than the ammonia. Add some beneficial bacteria to your tank to help dilute ammonia or just do water changes (with dechlorinated water) This tank can fit at least 1 axolotl. Good luck! :D
Ah damn they would still eat that? The pebbles are quite large, the biggest I could find in the pet store. Would a super fine gravel like 1-2mm thick still hurt them?
Ok cool I havnt heard of freezing a bottle, definitely will try that.
That’s a relief for the water parameters. I’ll do a clean and then see how I go with it. I do have a water conditioner, it’s the API stress coat one. Cool, one axolotl is all need.
Thanks for the help! :)

axolotlnewtlover

Reaction score
I think you should just use fine sand instead of gravel. API stress coat is made of aloe vera which can poison them, not only that but it can also suffocate the axolotl. Also, do you have a filter? Filters would improve your water parameters. Good luck! :D

LaraCs223

Reaction score
I think you should just use fine sand instead of gravel. API stress coat is made of aloe vera which can poison them, not only that but it can also suffocate the axolotl. Also, do you have a filter? Filters would improve your water parameters. Good luck! :D
Ok I’ll get the sand :)
Oh no that’s not good, we don’t want to poison the axolotl now do we. What’s a good water conditioner to get then?
Yep I have a filter, it’s in the top right corner.

The-Axolotl

Reaction score
Id suggest API tap water conditioner. I would also suggest in your tank adding more places the axolotl can hide under. I would also say to use sand. I think you could have 1 or 2 axies in there but I would probably just go with 1. Ways to cool down the tank are but ice packs around the outside of the tank in the glass or but dechlorinated freezer ice cubes in there.

Flinders

Reaction score
wait can you elaborate on the aloe vera thing

axolotlnewtlover

Reaction score
Ok I’ll get the sand :)
Oh no that’s not good, we don’t want to poison the axolotl now do we. What’s a good water conditioner to get then?
Yep I have a filter, it’s in the top right corner.
The-Axolotl is right, API tap water conditioner is safe but I prefer to use Prime by SeaChem. Also, try to not keep your light on when your axolotl is in your tank. They don't like light.

Some ways to treat ammonia are adding aeration to the tank, keeping live plants in your tank such as Frogbit, which lays on the surface on your tank, or adding nitrifying bacteria to your tank to help with the cycle.

When you get your axolotl, make sure to show us pictures! Good Luck :D

JM29

Reaction score
Also, try to not keep your light on when your axolotl is in your tank. They don't like light.
Misconception :
- Most aquarium lights are far less bright than outdoor natural light,
- Aquatic plants need light to "work" well. They contribute to good water quality.
- If the plants grow well, they'll naturally create shelters. Floating plants are particularly interesting for this purpose.

axolotlnewtlover

Reaction score
Misconception :
- Most aquarium lights are far less bright than outdoor natural light,
- Aquatic plants need light to "work" well. They contribute to good water quality.
- If the plants grow well, they'll naturally create shelters. Floating plants are particularly interesting for this purpose.
Oh! my bad. I've heard that they don't like any sort of light. Thanks for pointing this out! 😃

LaraCs223

Reaction score
The-Axolotl is right, API tap water conditioner is safe but I prefer to use Prime by SeaChem. Also, try to not keep your light on when your axolotl is in your tank. They don't like light.

Some ways to treat ammonia are adding aeration to the tank, keeping live plants in your tank such as Frogbit, which lays on the surface on your tank, or adding nitrifying bacteria to your tank to help with the cycle.

When you get your axolotl, make sure to show us pictures! Good Luck :D
Cool thanks! I have some live plants in there that are growing nicely. How/ where do you get nitrifying bacteria?
I’ll definitely show y’all my axolotl when I get one hehe 😆

Danielle a

Reaction score
I had this problem with ammonia I bought some ammonia remover from pets at home I let the filter run for 24 hours before I put my axie in and he's thriving now

Sunnycoastcroc

Reaction score
I had this problem with ammonia I bought some ammonia remover from pets at home I let the filter run for 24 hours before I put my axie in and he's thriving now
Lara. I am just up the sunny coast. I tried the ice thing and had a pedistal fan on the tank with aircon on, I could not get the temps down. I just bought a chiller, there costly but after a bit of research I found people have alot of problems around here with fungus and general health. I did see on market place or gumtree a couple of chillers down your way. I couldn't find any up here so went new. Keep an eye out for HOOKWORM there is a big out break from one of the major breeders down your way, I don't know details but my local told me.

WaterLily05

Reaction score
A great way to keep the tank temps stable is a desk fan. Have it blow across as much of the surface of the tank as you can, and go lidless or mesh lid on the tank to allow for as much evaporation and cooling as possible.

That tank size is great for a single axolotl, I would not do two.

Thats not gravel, those are rocks lol. Personally I don’t think the axolotl could eat those, but I definitely wouldn’t go any smaller unless you do fine sand.

I agree with @JM29 about the lights. I have recently got a light for my axie tank (which is heavily planted) and have honestly noticed an increase in their activity level, in a good, not stressed out way.

LaraCs223

Reaction score
Lara. I am just up the sunny coast. I tried the ice thing and had a pedistal fan on the tank with aircon on, I could not get the temps down. I just bought a chiller, there costly but after a bit of research I found people have alot of problems around here with fungus and general health. I did see on market place or gumtree a couple of chillers down your way. I couldn't find any up here so went new. Keep an eye out for HOOKWORM there is a big out break from one of the major breeders down your way, I don't know details but my local told me.
Ah damn, I’ve been trying the ice block method and have only been able to get it to the low 20’s so I think I will get a chiller. Rip my bank account lol.
Oh no I need to find out who this breeder is for hookworm, doesn’t sound good. What are the signs of hookworm?

LaraCs223

Reaction score
A great way to keep the tank temps stable is a desk fan. Have it blow across as much of the surface of the tank as you can, and go lidless or mesh lid on the tank to allow for as much evaporation and cooling as possible.

That tank size is great for a single axolotl, I would not do two.

Thats not gravel, those are rocks lol. Personally I don’t think the axolotl could eat those, but I definitely wouldn’t go any smaller unless you do fine sand.

I agree with @JM29 about the lights. I have recently got a light for my axie tank (which is heavily planted) and have honestly noticed an increase in their activity level, in a good, not stressed out way.
Fan sounds good, I’ll look at using that too.
Yeah they are rocks, many people still think the axolotl would still eat it so I have sand that I’m gonna put in and maybe keep a few of the larger rocks for decoration.
That’s good your axie doesn’t mind the light! Hope the one I get won’t mind it too much because the light is pretty and good for plants haha.

LaraCs223

Reaction score
Ok so update, my water parameters are ph 7.5, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 10. Does this mean the tank is cycled? Would it be good enough for an axolotl?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1