Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

WV Trip Part 1

blckkeys

Reaction score
This past weekend two friends and myself took a trip to West Virginia. It turned out to be a great herping trip. The weather was wonderful, 70-75 in the day and 45-50 at night, and we had isolated thundershowers one day. Here are some pictures of a few species we found.

Eastern Newt Eft
WV 2008 273.JPG WV 2008 274.JPG
We also found several adults, but it was raining at the time. While my Pentax K10D has weather sealing, I did not want to test it out. We found two efts, the pictures are just one. They where out wandering after the rains. The newts were in a man made pond.

We found numerous norther springs as well as larvae and newly morphed springs.
Northern Spring Salamander
WV 2008 009.JPG WV 2008 028.JPG

We also found numberouse slimy salamanders.
Slimy Salamander
WV 2008 042.JPG WV 2008 046.JPG

We also found 4 Green salamanders. I was pretty excited to see these, as I have never seen them before and they are state endangered in Ohio.
Green Salamander
WV 2008 308.JPG WV 2008 323.JPG

We also saw various dusky salamanders, redbacks, an spotted sal. larvae, a wood frog, spring frog, smooth green snake, and redbellied snake.

Part 2 still to come.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Pat, again you dazzle us. Beautiful photos - makes me wish I could go to WV :).

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you going to enter our Calendar Competition? There's a month and a half left and you have some winners in there I think. The prize is a year (or 18 months - I can't remember) of donor status.

rust

Reaction score
I'm here to tell you that I've seen quite a few greens at quite a few different locailties, but that green on the left is REALLY green! Nice pics.

KevinS

Reaction score
Very nice-I've been herping WV for over a decade and I still haven't been lucky enough to find any green salamanders. What part of the state were you in? I was thinking that "slimy salamander" on the right looks like Plethodon kentucki, the Cumberland Plateau Salamander. I'm guessing you were in the mountains though and as I recall P. cylindraceus and wehrlei replace them there. Of course it could be a glutinosus regardless of where it was found, it just has a few characteristics of kentucki that got me wondering.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1