Xenopus laevis temperature

matias

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi, everyone, i want to know which is Xenopus laevis´ lowest temperature they resist. because i want to have them (and breed them), i will put them in a fishtank in a room with no heater and an improvised door (it is a nylon sheet that only separates from outdoor, don´t laugh for that and my english). my parents don´t want have fish or something like this in the house, the winter here is not so cold (the temp drops belows 0C for 1 or 2 month in the morning only). and in that room the temp is 5-10C, i mean, can i have them in that conditions? (water heater are too expensive, and xenopus are cheap).

Water heaters are expensive and xenopus are cheap ? Regardless of a creatures cost it deserves to be treated well.
I personally don't let my xenopus drop below 15c and wouldn't recommend going lower than that, I trialed a pair at 10c a couple years ago and they just went torpid and looked miserable. I know one keeper who let's his frog tank get ice on the surface over winter, xenopus also survive feral in the UK showing that they can tolerate low temps but there may be problems associated with doing this.
Try posting this question on frog forum, you will get more responses.

How can you not agree with this? It's not the price of an animal at all but the owners decision to now take care of a life.i feel that every owner has an obligation to meet the specific animals needs almost to the point of museum type conditions.

TED and NAI LIVE that is why i am asking if that would be a good idea, i had the same problem with goldfishes that they optimum temp is 18-23C and in internet they say that if you drop the temp below 10C they´ll get sick or harm, and then in goldfish forums they told me that they can live all year round in ponds , the same with axolotls (the optimum 18-19C). and in one forum about Xenopus i read that if u want to reproduce them you have to keep water to 10C to hibernate, i wanted to know what was the lowest they get comfortable.

Please read the origin of the country before replying. In Argentina, if you keep Xenopus indoor the temperatures won't be lower than 15°C. Just control that with a aquarium thermometer. Anyway, i hate when talking about prices, the life of an animal is priceless, so if you can't afford all the conditions it would be nice to think about and avoid keepeing them.

Please read the origin of the country before replying. In Argentina, if you keep Xenopus indoor the temperatures won't be lower than 15°C. Just control that with a aquarium thermometer. Anyway, i hate when talking about prices, the life of an animal is priceless, so if you can't afford all the conditions it would be nice to think about and avoid keepeing them.

Try taking your own advice on reading posts...... The xenopus will be kept in a room which is open to outside temperatures which will go down to 0c at times

hi guys

it is ok to keep them between 24-26 degrees? whats the highest temp limt for these ACF?

thanks

I keep mine around 22C. The room is around 15C but the tank is on top of my snake viv and heat rises. They do very well at this temperature. In winter it drops down to around 15C as the room cools a lot. I usually plug in a small heater to keep then at at least 18C-20C. Any lower I find they get slugish, go off their food and develop health problems.

I like to keep them active as they are very entertaining. They can withstand lower temperatures undoubtedly, but not over long periods of time.

I had them in a tropical fish tank when small, 25C. they did well and quickly grew big enough to become a threat to the fish!

hi

thanks for advice and confirmation. ok i will keep them between 24-25C.

cheers!

I had them in a tropical fish tank when small, 25C. they did well and quickly grew big enough to become a threat to the fish![/QUOTE]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back