Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Yay!

C

claire

yay im getting a new tank. not sure of the dimensions but its way bigger than the one i have. its around 4 foot long and 1 and a half feet in height or so. my boyfriends mothers friend has it but only has a tiny pleck fish thing in it. he said we could have it for free as long as we take the pleck with us.lol. wont keep it in the tank. id probs sell it or something. but anyway im sooo happy and cant wait to get it. ill be putting sand as my substrate (gorgeous lemon yellow colour from ikea...oh how i love ikea!!!) and im going to get some plants and stuff. ive also seen these cute lil tiny ceramic plant pots (maybe the size of kims tiny ones in her tank) and they have plastic plants in them and they are SO CUUUTE! sorry guys im just so excited. the tank will have been emptied and all that before being transported to my boyfriends and has a filter in it which has already been used for fish and has bacteria in (i think) so how long will the water need to be cycled for?
also can i just keep putting water in the new tank from my axies in the old tank. ok that didnt make sense! right start again...instead of putting 100% fresh water in the new tank to cycle....should i empty the water ive siphoned out of the old tank during water changes into the new tank...will that make it cycle quicker because it will have essential bacteria in...?

lo, thanks for putting up with my confusing post!lol.

C

cynthia

Claire - Yes add water from your old tank to the new one it will help speed up the cycling. If you could take your old filter and run it on your new tank that would speed things up too.

Testing the water is the only way to know when you are done cycling.

Congrats on the new tank! I hope to get one soon too for my 3 young axolotls.

C

claire

i dont have a filter on my tank i have now.lol.so ill just run the one on the tank that im getting.what else could i do to help the tank cycle qucker? was putting a dog biscuit or something in one of the things i could do? lol.

J

joan

I'd say if you put 50% of the old tank water, and the decorations, plus the fish-filter, you'll be all cycled. Most of the good bacteria live in a.) the filter or b.) on the tank decorations. Some are freefloating in the water though. So if you do that, you won't have to worry about re-cycling.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1