10 years old full body swelling

kcoscia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Katie
Hi all -
I have two 10 year old axolotls in a 40g breeder with a chiller ans two filters. Tank is cycled, parameters on water change day 0/0/20.

One of my axolotls is very swollen. I think it's just elderly organ failure. Wondering if Im missing anything. She's had a treatment of kanamycin with no improvement.

Tank mate has no symptoms. I'll attach an image for comparison, although she's ugly and lost her gills 7 years ago and never grew them back. I still love her.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20221217_165420.jpg
    20221217_165420.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 318
  • 20221217_165618.jpg
    20221217_165618.jpg
    920 KB · Views: 52
what if any salts/minerals are you using? salt may help if there is any osmosis happening.
what food are you giving her? food that contains vitamin A may help with organ issue.
because you've had no issues up until now it may well be due to old age.

what if any salts/minerals are you using? salt may help if there is any osmosis happening.
what food are you giving her? food that contains vitamin A may help with organ issue.
because you've had no issues up until now it may well be due to old age.
I feed strictly earthworms, but unfortunately she is having trouble eating due to the neck swelling I think.
I've never used salts or minerals. I could try increasing the salinity?

I feed strictly earthworms, but unfortunately she is having trouble eating due to the neck swelling I think.
I've never used salts or minerals. I could try increasing the salinity?
it might be an idea, the increased salinity may reduce water absorption.
try krill, brineshrimp, cockle, mussel as they contain vitamin A and may help if it is organ related.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back