Adjusting axolotls to a new tank!

mmbd73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Madison
So I am in the process of moving to a new apartment and I moved my two axolotls from their 20 gallon tank home to a 10 gallon temporary tank for a month before I move to my new place. I'm doing water changes every week and have hides for them crawl into as well as a filter running. My water parameters are all normal as well. I use APIs water testing kit at home. My temperature is at 68 degrees.

So my issue is that one of my axolotls does not handle the change well. He just loses his appetite completely. His body still looks healthy and there doesn't seem to be any other issues. He just won't even bite at food. My other axolotl is settled in well and eating nightcrawlers like nothing ever happened.

I'm going on 2 weeks with no food at all. He's done this in the past when I moved him into the 20 gallon once he was big enough. He went 3 weeks without food and then started coming around. Is there any helpful hints someone can give me to help him adjust quicker or more comfortably?

I've never had that happen because of a change of scenery, not for more than a few days anyway. However I was thinking you could perhaps try him on a treat food, like Bloodworm or something? Mine go nuts for the stuff. I hope you can get him to eat soon!

If anyone is wondering, axolotls can go 23 days without a meal and still mainotm ok body condition. Still trying everyday to feed him either pellets, blood worms, or night crawlers. Still nothing...... :(

He usually ignores me or turns his body around away from me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back