Alpine newt larvae help please

CWhit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got 10 larvae ranging from a week to just two days old, plus some unmatched eggs. I lost one today so thought I'd check I'm doing everything ok, can anyone help please?

They're in a plastic fishtank with a sponge filter on low, with some elodea and miss balls. I get the water from my established aquarium. As soon as the first one hatched I put a load of daphnia in with them.

I'm raising fresh BBS every day, then lowering the water level, putting in the BBS so there's a high concentration. After about an hour I top up with fresh aquarium water.

I'm siphoning up any debris from the bottom 3 x a day with a pippette, it takes a while especially with the dead BBS but they're worth it!

I have cultures started of grindal worms, white worms & blackworms ready to go when needed.

Am I missing anything? Should I be doing anything else? It's my first time with newts and any advice is welcome!

Thank you

Claire

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back