Ammonia levels concerning?

Noodlesmom

Reaction score
Country
United States
My ammonia levels have been 0 in my cycled tank with axolotl until recently. I’ve noticed it went up to .25ppm in which I did a 25% water change and that has caused it to go back down to 0ppm. But a couple days later and it goes back to .25ppm. I’m concerned as to why it keeps raising to .25ppm. I always keep the tank clean as well. However, I noticed my axolotl has been hanging around the surface a lot more than usual and now im starting to worry if maybe his surface activity has to do with the ammonia levels. All other tests are normal levels. Should I be worried?

whats the ph and temperature, also do you have an airstone in the tank, depending on the ph and temperature the ammonia could be quite harmless but still be making the water a bit ripe.
at ph 7.4 - 7.6 15°c - 18°c (which are the ideal ph and temp) ammonia at a level of .25ppm is harmless, as the ph and temp goes up so does the toxicity, this is because the test measures TAN (total ammonia nitrogen) NH3 + NH4 (NH3 is toxic free ammonia, NH4 is non-toxic ammonium) at ph 7.6 temp 18°c TAN 0.25ppm NH3 is 0.0033 (very low and quite safe), but as the ph or temperature goes up so does the NH3 in the TAN, for example ph 8 temp 18°c TAN 0.25 NH3 0.0081 (still safe though) or ph 7.6 temp 20°c TAN 0.0038 (still very safe) unless your ph and temp have risen drastically the 0.25ppm ammonia is harmless although the ph and temp would be a bigger problem.
when the ph is low there is less free ammonia and more ammonium and although ammonium is non-toxic it is also harder for bacteria to break down, hence why it shows on a test.
there are five reasons for ammonia to show on a test 1. low ph 2. low temperature 3. overfeeding/waste output 4. inadequately size filter 5. un-cycled tank, at this point in time I would first suggest making sure the ph and the temp is correct. make sure there is plenty of oxygen in the water by having an air stone as this is one of the reasons axies start gulping at the surface for air.
also although ideal ammonia for an axolotl is 0ppm the tolerance level is <2ppm provided the ph and temperature is correct.

whats the ph and temperature, also do you have an airstone in the tank, depending on the ph and temperature the ammonia could be quite harmless but still be making the water a bit ripe.
at ph 7.4 - 7.6 15°c - 18°c (which are the ideal ph and temp) ammonia at a level of .25ppm is harmless, as the ph and temp goes up so does the toxicity, this is because the test measures TAN (total ammonia nitrogen) NH3 + NH4 (NH3 is toxic free ammonia, NH4 is non-toxic ammonium) at ph 7.6 temp 18°c TAN 0.25ppm NH3 is 0.0033 (very low and quite safe), but as the ph or temperature goes up so does the NH3 in the TAN, for example ph 8 temp 18°c TAN 0.25 NH3 0.0081 (still safe though) or ph 7.6 temp 20°c TAN 0.0038 (still very safe) unless your ph and temp have risen drastically the 0.25ppm ammonia is harmless although the ph and temp would be a bigger problem.
when the ph is low there is less free ammonia and more ammonium and although ammonium is non-toxic it is also harder for bacteria to break down, hence why it shows on a test.
there are five reasons for ammonia to show on a test 1. low ph 2. low temperature 3. overfeeding/waste output 4. inadequately size filter 5. un-cycled tank, at this point in time I would first suggest making sure the ph and the temp is correct. make sure there is plenty of oxygen in the water by having an air stone as this is one of the reasons axies start gulping at the surface for air.
also although ideal ammonia for an axolotl is 0ppm the tolerance level is <2ppm provided the ph and temperature is correct.
So my ph always stays in between 7.2-7.6 and I have a fan above the tank to regulate the tank temperature so it’s always around 18c. Sometimes the temp raises to goes down a little but I always quickly fix it to where it’s back to around 18c. I don’t have an airstone in that tank, I’m actually in the process of cycling a new bigger tank for him which I have a airstone to put in there. I’ll definitely put the airstone in his tank for now until I move him into the new one. I was feeding him every other day but I read that young axolotls should eat every day so I started to feed him frozen blood worms every day. He only really poops like once a week and when I see it I always clean it out. Right now I have an air pump filter but I did upgrade the filter in the new tank to a much better one.

provided the nitrite levels don't go up the ammonia is safe with your parameters, that being said as your axie grows so will your bio-load, I think that the size of you filter is probably the reason you are getting small levels of ammonia, as to the floating this can be because of lack of dissolved oxygen in the water, is he/she gulping air?, also a lack of dissolved oxygen will affect the bacteria as well. air sponges are ok for using as filtration but because of the size of the bubbles produced are very inefficient at oxygenating water.

provided the nitrite levels don't go up the ammonia is safe with your parameters, that being said as your axie grows so will your bio-load, I think that the size of you filter is probably the reason you are getting small levels of ammonia, as to the floating this can be because of lack of dissolved oxygen in the water, is he/she gulping air?, also a lack of dissolved oxygen will affect the bacteria as well. air sponges are ok for using as filtration but because of the size of the bubbles produced are very inefficient at oxygenating water.
That’s honestly a relief. After I saw your first response I ordered another air stone that I’ll put in his tank. To be honest I know his current tank set up isn’t the best. That’s why I’m upgrading him to a bigger tank, it’s just in the process of cycling. He’s not really gulping for air more than normal. He’s just hanging at the surface and treading the water

That’s honestly a relief. After I saw your first response I ordered another air stone that I’ll put in his tank. To be honest I know his current tank set up isn’t the best. That’s why I’m upgrading him to a bigger tank, it’s just in the process of cycling. He’s not really gulping for air more than normal. He’s just hanging at the surface and treading the water
see how he is after a couple of days with the air stone in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back