Are catappa leaves good?

Melina

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello!

Recently I noticed my axolotl has fungus…
Not to mention, we suspect that she is pregnant.

I tried doing salt baths, they seemed to help at first but it came back all the time. So I went to a fish store that I bought my axolotl from. They sold me some „Catappa leaves extract“ and they said it could help.

When I googled, it never said that it helps with fungus; so I’m not sure if either the internet is lying or the service..🫠

I wanted to ask here, he also gave me Granulat/granules that I’m kinda suspicious of.. but anyways, it does say „medication for the prevention of fungi and parasites“.. personally, I never even heard of this thing and I’m not sure it’s save.

Other than that; is there any way to know that ur axolotl is pregnant?

I will be thankful for your help!

Hi,
Catappa leaves or catappa leaves extract is a must ... because there is a business behind it.
They give tanins in the water, and tanins have antifungic properties, but oak leaves have the same effect (with no cost)

the trick to using salt to get rid of fungus is that there needs to be a small amount present at all times in the water ie.. 1.70 - 2g/l.
catappa/almond leaves have been used for years in the fish industry to help reduce stress when transporting fish and the extract is mainly used for fish that prefer black acidic/soft water such as discus.
if using the extract keep an eye on ph levels as although it is a mild acid it can still affect ph if the water kh is too low.
if an axolotl is prone to fungus then using a small amount of salt or 50% holtfreters/modified solution may be required at all times, the level of salt at 1.7 - 3.5g/l (100% holtfreters is 3.5g/l salt, used as a medication) isn't harmful to axolotls (although eggs, larva and juveniles do better at 1 - 2g/l)
axolotls originate from slight brackish moderate/hard water and although the majority are fine in fresh water some require the salt to prevent issues such as fungus.
read Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity for information on holtfreters.

the trick to using salt to get rid of fungus is that there needs to be a small amount present at all times in the water ie.. 1.70 - 2g/l.
catappa/almond leaves have been used for years in the fish industry to help reduce stress when transporting fish and the extract is mainly used for fish that prefer black acidic/soft water such as discus.
if using the extract keep an eye on ph levels as although it is a mild acid it can still affect ph if the water kh is too low.
if an axolotl is prone to fungus then using a small amount of salt or 50% holtfreters/modified solution may be required at all times, the level of salt at 1.7 - 3.5g/l (100% holtfreters is 3.5g/l salt, used as a medication) isn't harmful to axolotls (although eggs, larva and juveniles do better at 1 - 2g/l)
axolotls originate from slight brackish moderate/hard water and although the majority are fine in fresh water some require the salt to prevent issues such as fungus.
read Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity for information on holtfreters.
Thank you! As my English isn’t the best, I only understood some.. so would you rather recommend salt or the Catappa extract? And should I try both or just one?

for fungus there are numerous treatments depending on how severe.
constant level in water of salt at 1.7g/l > 2g/l = comfort, preventative of fungus and mild cases, as well as preventative towards other issues associated with axolotls.
2g/l > 3.5g/l salt for more severe case,
catappa/almond leaves 1 per 10 litres water for comfort, for use as treatment for mild cases, slow to use.
catappa extract see dosage on bottle, use according to taste (light yellow water to dark brown) used for comfort and mild cases of fungus, faster to use than leaves.
black tea 1 bag or equivalent per 10 litres, treatment mild fungus.
methyline blue, best treated as bath, half fish dose (see bottle) mild to severe cases fungus.
acriflavine, best treated as bath, half fish dose (see bottle) mild to severe cases fungus.
potassium permanganate, best treated as bath, half fish dose (see bottle) mild to severe cases fungus and other skin issues.
I always use 50% holtreters (1.75g/l salt) with mine as standard as a preventative and to make the water more suitable.

constant level in water of salt at 1.7g/l > 2g/l = comfort, preventative of fungus and mild cases, as well as preventative towards other issues associated with axolotls.
catappa/almond leaves 1 per 10 litres water for comfort, for use as treatment for mild cases, slow to use.
catappa extract see dosage on bottle, use according to taste (light yellow water to dark brown) used for comfort and mild cases of fungus, faster to use than leaves.
methyline blue, best treated as bath, half fish dose (see bottle) mild to severe cases fungus.
acriflavine, best treated as bath, half fish dose (see bottle) mild to severe cases fungus.
potassium permanganate, best treated as bath, half fish dose (see bottle) mild to severe cases fungus and other skin issues.
I always use 50% holtreters (1.75g/l salt) with mine as standard as a preventative and to make the water more suitable.
Hello! I tried doing the things u said, and it worked but New things appeared..

Let’s start off that the fungus came back again but I’m trying to fix it.. second, she has a red pimple on her?? She also has some bumps that look like pimples!

And I know about her foot, I’m trying to get a vet appointment

Attachments

• 9AFE038A-9D39-452B-B1FD-2F77242928DA.jpeg
    9AFE038A-9D39-452B-B1FD-2F77242928DA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 125
  • 14CCBA74-5D9F-46F4-A534-B512F8B37139.jpeg
    14CCBA74-5D9F-46F4-A534-B512F8B37139.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • 2337EE85-48B1-42A8-B3B7-4F0E76E24A68.jpeg
    2337EE85-48B1-42A8-B3B7-4F0E76E24A68.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 76
which part did you do?

which part did you do?
I did the Catappa extract, on the bottle it said that I should just put a bit of it. So I did— but I’m pretty sure it’s because my mom touched her. She told me that she touched her yesterday because she thought she was dead while I was in school, and she also read that it could be a burn..

get some non-iodinised salt ie.. marine, himalayan, sea, and add 2g per litre to the tank, for example.. if your tank is 20 gallon (I assume the German gallon is the same as UK gallon) then it would be 91 litre, so 182 grams of salt is mixed/dissolved with some tank water then slowly added (its easier to add/topup salt during a water change) to the tank, add/replace the salt at every water change.
the salt will benefit your axolotls health wise as well as dealing with the fungus, as an added note it is also used to treat ammonia poisoning/burns.
did your mother have anything on her hands, ie.. cleaner etc.., although bacteria transfer can occur, the alkalinity from human skin won't cause burns, if the injury is a burn check ammonia levels for spiking.
do a full water test (preferably with liquid test) temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and if possible kh gh, please post results, sometimes it is also helpful to test tap water levels as well.

get some non-iodinised salt ie.. marine, himalayan, sea, and add 2g per litre to the tank, for example.. if your tank is 20 gallon (I assume the German gallon is the same as UK gallon) then it would be 91 litre, so 182 grams of salt is mixed/dissolved with some tank water then slowly added (its easier to add/topup salt during a water change) to the tank, add/replace the salt at every water change.
the salt will benefit your axolotls health wise as well as dealing with the fungus, as an added note it is also used to treat ammonia poisoning/burns.
did your mother have anything on her hands, ie.. cleaner etc.., although bacteria transfer can occur, the alkalinity from human skin won't cause burns, if the injury is a burn check ammonia levels for spiking.
do a full water test (preferably with liquid test) temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and if possible kh gh, please post results, sometimes it is also helpful to test tap water levels as well.
I don’t think my mother had anything on her hands, but my girl is better now! I added the Catappa extract to her water again and the „burn marks“ are kinda gone. I will show u the test results when they are ready! Might take a while since I’m not home right now

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back