Axie gills looking a bit strange

MaxH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My one axie has one hill curled and shorter than the rest all of a sudden and my other one has always had ‘bushy’ gills but wanted to see if they look normal to everyone else!
Mainly need help with the smaller gills but if there is something off with the other one then obviously please let me know!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1539.jpeg
    IMG_1539.jpeg
    1,010.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1540.jpeg
    IMG_1540.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1541.jpeg
    IMG_1541.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1542.jpeg
    IMG_1542.jpeg
    922.5 KB · Views: 56
what are the water parameters ie.. temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, kh and gh if possible.
use 3.5g/l non iodised salt in the tank until there is improvement with the gills then reduce salt level to 2g/l
using 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate would be better but need to know ph, kh, gh, first.
on the photos it looks like the beginning of fungus on both (this could just be blurriness of photos) use salt or holtfreters as a preventative and treatment.
info here for holtfreters.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

Hi! Yeah the images are a bit blurry here so I’ve added some more here!
what are the water parameters ie.. temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, kh and gh if possible.
use 3.5g/l non iodised salt in the tank until there is improvement with the gills then reduce salt level to 2g/l
using 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate would be better but need to know ph, kh, gh, first.
on the photos it looks like the beginning of fungus on both (this could just be blurriness of photos) use salt or holtfreters as a preventative and treatment.
info here for holtfreters.. Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpeg
    IMG_1549.jpeg
    772.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1545.jpeg
    IMG_1545.jpeg
    863.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1546.jpeg
    IMG_1546.jpeg
    900 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1548.jpeg
    IMG_1548.jpeg
    904.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1550.jpeg
    IMG_1550.jpeg
    547.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1551.jpeg
    IMG_1551.jpeg
    735.6 KB · Views: 51
does look like beginning of fungus, use 3.5g/l salt until the gills improve then reduce to 2g/l, look into using 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate if possible (it will add essential salt/minerals)

does look like beginning of fungus, use 3.5g/l salt until the gills improve then reduce to 2g/l, look into using 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate if possible (it will add essential salt/minerals)
Cool thanks! How long do you reckon it’ll take to heal up and will it affect my other axie who’s completely healthy? Also why does this happen?

axolotls are a slight brackish moderate/hard water animal, although the majority are fine in just dechlorinated water some require addition salts/minerals to stay healthy and not become susceptible to conditions such as fungus, skin problems, osmotic edema etc.. which can be prevented by having the correct water chemistry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back