Axolotl development

Owls5096

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I had an axolotl that was 6 weeks old which sadly died, the one thing I noticed was it had not developed ant legs. I was of the understanding that they should have started developing by them. I wondered if anyone had any more information on this.

Hi I had an axolotl that was 6 weeks old which sadly died, the one thing I noticed was it had not developed ant legs. I was of the understanding that they should have started developing by them. I wondered if anyone had any more information on this.
it's not uncommon for axolotl larvae to experience failure to thrive. sometimes things just don't work out in the genetic toss-up, and you get some that will never live to adulthood

it's not uncommon for axolotl larvae to experience failure to thrive. sometimes things just don't work out in the genetic toss-up, and you get some that will never live to adulthood
Thank you for that, I appreciate you responding. My adults have given me another headache of some more eggs. The 6 wk old baby was the only one of 20 I tried to grow on that hatched and survived to 6 wks the others died within two wks. They lived in with the adults in a fine net breder box, so I know the water chemistry was ok and they were eating daphine. I don't know if to try again. If you have got advice it would be very much appreciated

Thank you for that, I appreciate you responding. My adults have given me another headache of some more eggs. The 6 wk old baby was the only one of 20 I tried to grow on that hatched and survived to 6 wks the others died within two wks. They lived in with the adults in a fine net breder box, so I know the water chemistry was ok and they were eating daphine. I don't know if to try again. If you have got advice it would be very much appreciated
i would suggest separating the adults to avoid further breeding. if it was their first clutch it's possible that was a contributor. i usually keep larvae tubbed in small containers, and change the water daily. daphnia is a good food source for little ones, but we use blackworms which works great for us. if you are well prepared to raise and sell a large number of juveniles, then you could try again. just make sure that the parents are not related

Ah that could be the reason, I have no idea if they are related. I rescued them and I'm their 3 home and the 3 of them have alway been together so they could be related. Think it will be best to give the male a home of his own. Many thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back