Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl doesn't use hind back legs, paralyzed?

Noey Hart

Reaction score
Axolotl doesn't use hind legs, paralyzed?

Hi everyone :)
So, since yesterday morning, one of my axolotls doesn't move his hind legs anymore, they look totally paralyzed. He is struggling to walk, he can only swim now that he can't use them anymore, or he is dragging his body with only his two front legs. He was super healthy before this happened for literally no reasons at all, I left him to sleep one night and the day after his hind legs were paralyzed. That's crazy! He's still eating well. Of course, he doesn't move much, and he looks sad.. He is about 7cm long, I tested the water last week and everything was fine, will try to test it again, and the one that lives with him doesn't have this problem. How could he be perfectly fine since now and all of a sudden lost the use of his hind legs ?!
If anyone ever experienced this, what should I do ?

Here are some ( sorry for this ) bad quality and blurry pics to show how his legs are sitting and a pic of his little face from yesterday. Today, they appear to sit more and more against his body...

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 2,524
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 855
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,146
My axolotls occassionally does that, they are a little strange. Keep an eye on it, sometimes they just stop doing it and start to use their legs again. If it persists over a few days I would most likely call a vet. Could be dislocation or a break of some sort, perhaps a development issue?

I've read before axolotls have done this possibly due to constipation or impaction. How long has it been since he pooped and what do you feed it?

I was thinking he was doing it because he was sleeping or what but it really seems like he can't use them anymore since two days.. Even when I touch his hind legs he doesn't respond, like he doesn't feel them. He last pooped last night, and he is eating mostly earthworms. He's not constipated then, there is no reasons at all that he looks like they are paralyzed... :/
When they are constipated they float or their legs can't stay on the ground. That's not his case..
I would prefer that he would be constipated but unfortunately he's not ..
I was thinking too that this may be a condition of some sort like he would became paralyzed all of a sudden? There's not this kind of vet here, no one even know about axolotls here.

I mentioned it/asked questions because in previous posts it's mentioned that constipation or impaction could play a part in hind legs not being used.

I don't think there's any home remedy you can do for it. It's either the vets or see how it develops...

My axolotls used to do it when they were little and on bare bottom.. Maybe he just can't be bothered using the back legs since it's harder to grip? Just a thought..

I will try to find a reptile vet but I don't think they exists and if so, if they know about axolotls.
I've seen a few threads about axolotls not using their hind legs but never seen any answers so I guess I'm stuck with waiting and see how it goes.
Maybe, I don't know because he is really struggling to walk and swim, so I don't think he does this on purpose :/
Thanks anyway!

I agree with haley's advice here. Keep an eye on how well and often this axis passes droppings. If you see it struggling with that and other signs seem to indicate constipation, possibly fridge him for a little while (only if you feel like it's a constipation issue). Otherwise, keep trying to find a vet and see how this little guy develops.

Again, I'll strongly recommend that you purchase your own water testing kit so you won't have to rely on a petshop to know about your water quality.

Thanks
Yes, I'll buy my own water testing kit and again he is still pooping so he's not constipated, he even had some really really loose poo, ( sorry it's disgusting ? ) like diarrhea 2-3 times, so maybe he has intestinal problems? I didn't change anything in his diet. I was thinking about maybe moving him in a little container ? Cause I don't want the other one to be sick too.. last night he got stuck 3 times because of his not moving legs!
Today I just woke up so haven't feed them already but again his legs are still not working :/

Anyone else has experienced this with their axolotl? :/
Or have any advices ?
I feel like a doctor who patiently wait for his patient to walk after an operation haha. He's acting weird today and didn't really eat much.. Like he's half asleep all the time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2