Axolotl tail up

Emz196

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my axolotls has recently had an impaction which I resolved through fridging, since then I have kept both of my axolotls diets to a minimum every few days and also kept it to small worms and small junior pellets.
My other axolotl is now posturing with tail up but don’t understand how they can be impacted as well? She has recently had her tail bitten by the other axolotl so not sure if it is to do with this??
The tank is bare at the bottom so is not gravel and the other impaction was caused by a shrimp…..
is it likely an impaction or something else???

Attachments

• IMG_7712.jpeg
    IMG_7712.jpeg
    906.2 KB · Views: 353
the tail up position can be either trying to defecate or readiness to breed.

the tail up position can be either trying to defecate or readiness to breed.
It’s been going on a few days now, would you suggest fridging?
I know that there are good and bad things about this and it worked with my other axolotl but am not sure how they can be impacted

the pellets could be a cause of constipation although like most animals it could be idiopathic and just something that happens, cooling the water would help but fridging is a bit extreme.
reducing the temperature should also her down if it is breeding behaviour 15°c - 18°c, 15°c being better.

the pellets could be a cause of constipation although like most animals it could be idiopathic and just something that happens, cooling the water would help but fridging is a bit extreme.
reducing the temperature should also her down if it is breeding behaviour 15°c - 18°c, 15°c being better.
Will that be ok for my other axolotl that is in the tank with her?

15°c - 18°c is ideal temperature range, tolerant range is 4°c - 24°c, axolotls are quite happy being at 10°c >, below 10°c they start to slow down their metabolism and start to become sluggish also problems with the filtration will develop, 18°c - 20°c they start to be in breeding condition (this is when people find that their axolotls aren't the same sex), 20°c > becomes quite stressful and should only be temporary, 24°c > extremely stressful and possibly deadly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back