Axolotl Tank Help!

Jack P

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Axolotls
Hey all you caudate keepers! I am new to Axolotls and am cycling my tank right now... I live in Massachusetts and it is cold outside. My house is 70 degrees Fahrenheit and my tank keeps going up to 68 degrees no matter what i do! I have taken out water and added ice cold water and everything just seems to be failing unfortunately! I dont know what to do as i am getting axies soon... Any suggestions to get my tank to 62 degrees or so is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks, Jack

Hey Jack, welcome to the forum! :)
Sorry to hear about your water temperature, I know that chillers are an option but they're very expensive and most people don't have the income to drop that much money on one!
If you can keep a mesh lid on your tank that will help cool the water down due to evaporation. Also, you can get a regular plug in room fan and aim the stream of air at the water's surface! This will help to cool the water as well. :)
Axolotls seem to be pretty sensitive to fluctuations in temperature so maintaining a stable temperature is very important as well!
I think Amazon sells small tank sized filters, they clip on to the top edge of the tank and blow air at the waters surface, but I'm not sure how well they work compared to a regular room sized fan!
Hope that helps and good luck, keep us updated on everything! :)

Hey Jack, welcome to the forum! :)
Sorry to hear about your water temperature, I know that chillers are an option but they're very expensive and most people don't have the income to drop that much money on one!
If you can keep a mesh lid on your tank that will help cool the water down due to evaporation. Also, you can get a regular plug in room fan and aim the stream of air at the water's surface! This will help to cool the water as well. :)
Axolotls seem to be pretty sensitive to fluctuations in temperature so maintaining a stable temperature is very important as well!
I think Amazon sells small tank sized filters, they clip on to the top edge of the tank and blow air at the waters surface, but I'm not sure how well they work compared to a regular room sized fan!
Hope that helps and good luck, keep us updated on everything! :)

Hey SammyTheLotus, thanks for the quick reply! I actually have seen those fans but havent got seen great reviews on them, Have you? I also dont have a cover on my tank at the moment because I heard about the evaporation deal... Any other ideas? Anything and Everything is appreciated! Also if an axie was at 19-20 degrees Celsius would it do any harm? i know that they would rather be colder but will it kill them or stress them to extreme levels? I was wondering if 66 degrees was too hot? i read the 64 is fine so will 2 degrees make a change?

Thanks, Jack

Hey SammyTheLotus, thanks for the quick reply! I actually have seen those fans but havent got seen great reviews on them, Have you? I also dont have a cover on my tank at the moment because I heard about the evaporation deal... Any other ideas? Anything and Everything is appreciated! Also if an axie was at 19-20 degrees Celsius would it do any harm? i know that they would rather be colder but will it kill them or stress them to extreme levels? I was wondering if 66 degrees was too hot? i read the 64 is fine so will 2 degrees make a change?

Thanks, Jack

According to a poll here on the forum, most users have their Axies at about 19-20 degrees Celsius! :) So I think around there would be just fine, lower if you could do it but I wouldn't go higher than 20! My little guys are in small containers at the moment until my tank re cycles itself and the containers are at about 17 degrees Celsius and I've had I issues with them so far, they're lively, happy and eating like little piggies! :)

According to a poll here on the forum, most users have their Axies at about 19-20 degrees Celsius! :) So I think around there would be just fine, lower if you could do it but I wouldn't go higher than 20! My little guys are in small containers at the moment until my tank re cycles itself and the containers are at about 17 degrees Celsius and I've had I issues with them so far, they're lively, happy and eating like little piggies! :)

You are the best! Thanks for all the helpful information and I hope that you have a fantastic day and have a great time with your axolotls! But truly, you took so much worries off my chest and gave me some great tips! I cant thank you enough!

Thanks So Much! Jack

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back