Best chiller for axolotl - 65L Tank

Mackpritchard

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Mack
I have a 65litre aquarium and was interested in what would be the best chiller for it.
I live in Australia and was arfter the cheapest option :)

Hey! I recently bought a Hailea branded one from Kellyville Pets (it was on sale luckily, I just had a look but I think they sold out of sale ones).
Since your tank isn't too big you wont need a huge chiller. What temperature does the tank sit at? You will want to choose one according to how many l/hr it chills and how many degrees you need to drop the water.
Pet stores sometimes stock them but they are always super expensive (unless there is a sale), so try gumtree or ebay :)
If you are thinking of upgrading your tank in the near future keep in mind that the chiller you get now may be too small later.
Another option is to use aquarium fans. I have been using one on my smaller tank and it is keeping it fairly constant at 16 degrees, but if there is temp. change in my room it does fluctuate.

Hey! I recently bought a Hailea branded one from Kellyville Pets (it was on sale luckily, I just had a look but I think they sold out of sale ones).
Since your tank isn't too big you wont need a huge chiller. What temperature does the tank sit at? You will want to choose one according to how many l/hr it chills and how many degrees you need to drop the water.
Pet stores sometimes stock them but they are always super expensive (unless there is a sale), so try gumtree or ebay :)
If you are thinking of upgrading your tank in the near future keep in mind that the chiller you get now may be too small later.
Another option is to use aquarium fans. I have been using one on my smaller tank and it is keeping it fairly constant at 16 degrees, but if there is temp. change in my room it does fluctuate.
Hey haylee, my tank sits between 18-19 at the moment and its winter her so i know ill need one for summer hoping to have the tank sit at 15-16 to be nice and cold for my axie i was looking at the Resun CL85 Nano Chiller do you think that would suit

I don't have any experience with that one but reading the specs it looks okay. Your tank is 65L and it pumps up to 60L so should work I'm guessing. But, if it isn't cooling enough you can reduce your tank volume by 5-10L.
Maybe someone who understands the technical side of chillers can help more, but I think it looks alright :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back