Best diet options

Jamie_ayla

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all. I’m a new axolotl parent, but have been researching for about a month now prior to getting my new baby (while I cycled her tank). I just brought her home yesterday and am already completely enamored. I’m struggling most with picking the best diet. I picked up some of the pellet diet that she was eating at her previous place (I figured that I didn’t want to change too many things all at once), but am not at all sure of the food composition. It just came in an unmarked dish. She does appear healthy and the seller did not seem shady, but we all know that sometimes people have good intentions but inadequate knowledge. The seller deals mostly with reptiles so I suspect it is a reptile pellet. I do have frozen bloodworms, but do not intend for that to be the whole of her diet. I’ve read that repashy grub pie or bottom scratcher are good diets, but was hoping for someone to tell me which is best for axolotls. Upon searching their ingredients and guaranteed analysis it seems to me that bottom scratcher may be better. I know that axolotls eat worms, but honestly as a vet tech feeding live anything makes me sad (I know it’s nature, but I’m a softie). I appreciate any and all recommendations as I know diet can play a huge role in general health. I’ve attached a picture of her cause she’s so darn cute!
AC05C93C-7128-4DAE-A9B4-A16935BB9FE5.jpeg

Very cute axie! Mike shrom sells some pretty good salmon pellets if you want to try those out

Earth worms is hands down the best! You can also get some axolotl pellets from JBL

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back