C.pyrrhogaster aquatic juvenile.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
This is one of two juveniles i´m preparing for two good friends of mine who have a lonely aquarium. They have been aquatic for under a month and they are doing great!
I love the colors of the juveniles of this species, they can be really pretty.
Anyway, here he is, isn´t he a looker?

Attachments

• P1080368.JPG
    P1080368.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 290
  • P1080370.JPG
    P1080370.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 231
Wow, looking lovely! How big is the little chap(?ette?)?

C

Beautiful newt! How gradually did you raise the water level? It looks quite deep in the photo.
And do you know how old it is exactly?

lovely fellow. Will the colors on the back disappear with age? Oh I do hope to get some pyrrh babes from my oldtimers next year... :)

He´s a little under a 6,5cm long, Chris, but the other one is smaller, probably 5,5 or so.

Eva, i raised them semi-aquatic with just 3cm of water or so. When they started to spend a lot of time in the water and "diving" when disturbed i moved them to another tank and started raising the water depth daily. In less than a week they were in 14-15 cm of water and fully aquatic.
Not sure of the age, but likely close to a year. These are part of the "runts".

Yeah, the colors do disappear, Molch. Some females retain a tiny bit of color in their flanks but others, and males, don´t. It would be a pitty if it wasn´t because adults are gorgeous in their own way!

Thank you all for the nice comments :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back