Confusing case, floating axolotl

AdmiralPudding

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys,

last week I noticed my lil girl floating and unable to swim to the bottom of the tank, I monitored her for 24 hours, then emptied her tank down to very shallow so she could walk on the bottom, I have also not fed her and am waiting for a bowel movement, everything I read suggests impaction but they all say its accompanied by inactivity, but she is still very active and trying to eat when I do water changes. any help would be great. Also she seems to be floating from her lower abdomen.

Thanks in advance

Okay, so let's get some more details, as this might help to figure out what's going on:

She hasn't been able to swim down for how long exactly? How many days has it been?

Along with that, how long has it been since you've fed her? What kind of food and how much and how often do you usually feed her?

Is there anything in her tank that is smaller than her head but larger than 3 mm in diameter or anything that could break off a larger object? For example, rocks, sand particles, twigs, etc.?

How often does she usually poop?

How old and how long is she?

You mentioned that she seemed to be floating "from her lower abdomen." Can you explain more? Does she appear bloated or like there's a bubble? Can you add a picture of it/her?

Last but not least, what are the all-important ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in your tank?

Hi guys one of mine is doing the same thing! I got two axolotls about 2 weeks ago now, one of them is completely fine and is enjoying his new tank but the other one has been having a few problems. Since I’ve got them I’ve done two water changes and I feed them pellets regularly as they’re juniors, and I do water tests which are always all good. The one having the problems for some reason can’t seem to stay at the bottom of the tank. He has to get beneath something to stay at the bottom or his tail will float in the air and eventually he floats to the top. I took him out of the tank a few days ago to put him in a tub as I thought it was constipation, and he managed to go so I put him back in but he was still floating. I then kept him in the tub for a second night was and he went to the toilet more, and I put him back in the tank with the other one today and although he isn’t struggling as much as he first was he’s still floating :( is there anything I need to do to solve this, is it actually constipation? Someone help! I just want him to get better, thank u so much :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back