Question: Do (did) axolotls really only eat a couple of times per week in the wild?

Karayna

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
The advice if only having to feed adults every other day, or every three days, seems to be accepted and never questioned. But do (did, as they're probably extinct) axolotls really eat that infrequently in the wild? I'd imagine they would find small insects comstantly.

Where does the feeding info come from, originally? Are there studies on their eating behavior? Why is it better to wait days than feeding small portions every day instead?

Hi ya, I think you'd have to take a lot of things into consideration, such as in the wild axolotls would be using up a lot of energy searching for food and would not be as successful at catching it compared to being hand fed in a tank. An axolotl in a 10 gallon tank would express a lot less energy then one in the wild therefore needing less food.
However I honestly think it depends on your individual axolotl. The feeding guidelines are just that ... guidelines, and working out the best feeding patten for your axi is all part and parcel of being a great axi owner. :p

You're absolutely right. ☺ I was just concerned since my own axies are hungry all the time (and my adult female was quite thin when I got her, so I've been feeding her small nightcrawler portions twice per day). Yet none are overweight, so I was just wondering why people suggest feeding so seldom. My guys would try to eat me. ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back