Established tank as temporary home two axolotls

Universal802

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with something.
I currently hold 2 axolotls on a 120cm wide tank (58gallon)

However I noticed the tank has a small piece of sealant that is causing a very minimum amount of leaking. Nonetheless, this needs to be repaired so I'm planning to fix the tank and as soon as one my of my other tanks is empty. I can keep them in a 29g tank where I kept my tropical fish in.

Now my question is... since this tank is already establised and has always worked very well, do I need to cycle this tank as well or can I just put them in here?

The current 58g tank has a good temperature and a external filter, where as the 29g tank has an internal filter (Juwel Rekord 800) and contained heated water.

My plan for the 29g was to scoop out all the gravel, suck out all the water and fill it again with the water from the 58g tank and add a short layer of new sand as substrate.

With this setup not only can I take some time on repairing the 58g tank but also re-scape it and give it a complete new cycle in order for the new layout to establish in a proper way (plants to root etc.)

Any ideas on this setup / plan are very welcome since I can't afford another new tank for the axies to live in and I'm worried the leakage will be worse over time.

Thanks in regard.
-Gio

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back