Question: Feeding & Cycling w/Established Tank

ashleenc716

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!
A little bit ago I got my two axolotl babies in perfect health from Margie. I've been feeding them frozen blood worm cubes 2x a day, but now that they're getting bigger, I'm wondering if I should be feeding them something else and how much...

I'm a beginner axolotl owner, and I tried to look through the forums a little for the answer.

Also, my two babies are currently in a 20 Gal, but I recently purchased a 65 Gal for them and plan to set it up in the next few days. I read previously that you can cycle a new tank with the water of an established tank. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips/general information on that process? To cycle my current tank, it took me about 2 months using fish flakes.

Thanks in advance!

Transition them to earthworms if you can as these make a more nutritious staple food as the get bigger.

Most of the beneficial bacteria lives on the surfaces rather than in the water itself. A large portion will be in the filter media but will also be in the substrate and on ornaments etc. If you can seed some filter media across to the new tank and maybe even some substrate this will help establish colonies of the beneficial bacteria in the new tank and speed up the cycling process. You will still need to cycle the new tank and monitor parameters closely.

Thank you very much, I'm already noticing a change in the nitrites FAR sooner than I thought I would. I'm very excited to move them on over. Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back