Fire belly newt with sores?

ctfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have 2 newts which I believe to be Chinese fire belly newts. We have had them for about 4 or 5 months now. They have been doing well for a while now but one of them has had a cut behind his left eye that seems to get better and then worse and back again for the last month or so. Now he seems to have some sores (not sure if that's what to call them) and they seem to be spreading. They are white and started as circles and then have morphed a bit. They are mostly around his head and neck.

We have seen a few instances of newt 2 (healthy) climbing over newt 1 (ill) and sometimes biting newt 1's tail. So I'm not sure if they are not compatible and that's what causing the stress / issues or what.

We have separated newt 1 (ill) into a bucket with a cover, clean fresh water (including some water from the main tank), plants (plastic and real) taller than the water level so he can rest on them and water temp is around 66-68. He is now not eating much if at all.

What can we do to help him recover? I have read about maybe putting on Neosporin (with out pain reliever) but I'm not sure if his circumstances warrant that or if some other approach would be better.

I took a picture today. I'm looking to see if I can post it.

picture attached (I hope)

Attachments

• Newt sores.jpg
    Newt sores.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 152
Sores like that are very common on imported petstore newts and they are difficult to treat without antibiotics from a vet, even then its hit and miss. The one you have there is beyond emaciated as well, so unless you can get it to start eating very soon the outlook isn't good I'm afraid.
Here are some links that might be helpful.

Caudata Culture Articles - Sores

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...mander-help/101508-newt-wound.html#post440955

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-new-chinese-fire-belly-newts-not-eating.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back