Fire salamander shedding concerns

Suz9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My son has 4 fire salamanders, he has had these over a year. Everything was fine, no issues at all.

But 2 weeks ago we noticed that the largest in the group look extremely dull, after some online research (very difficult to find any information at all on this matter) it seems that it has had trouble shedding its skin.

For the last 4 days we have been soaking him in some water and gently rubbing him with some cotton wool. He copes with this well, considering he isn’t really handled and of course we wear gloves ect.

So the first couple of times nothing really happened, but the last 2 times we are seeing lots of black skin in the water, this seems to be coming from his under belly and his sides and some brighter spots have appeared on his feet, tail and back.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this at all?

The other 3 are looking super healthy with lovely bright markings, so I’m confused as to why this has happened to this one.

I would be grateful for any advice or guidance on this matter.

Thanks

Susan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back