Fungus treatment

Phoenix2016

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi again! I noticed D’Artagnan has a little fungus in his frills. His appetite is fine, but there are those little white fluffs in his frills- which are still super fluffy (I love his fluffy frills!).

I watched “Girl Talks Fish” and learned that I need to quarantine him on his small plastic tub (shoe box sized I guess), and give him 10 min salt baths twice a day, 3-4 days, and once a day for a few more. She also says I should still quarantine him for a whole additional week. Is that the case if he is alone on his tank? Won’t he be miserable in that tiny space?

I wish an expert could come help me double check everything because I feel like I’m doing things the right way, changing water, checking parameters and temp, I have an adjustable filter on low but I also attached a small plastic drawer from a small craft thing to disperse the flow.

I tried a sponge filter but it did not seem to clean the tank at all.

He seems reasonably happy and social, he’s out of direct light - in a darkish corner even, and has a good sized hide that he spends a little time in but not all of the time.

I feed him a mix of frozen bloodworms and live earthworms from the pet store with an occasional treat of freeze dried brine shrimp. He comes immediately when I have food and eats it pretty adorably aggressively. I was feeding him half a pouch of bloodworms twice a day bc he would spit out any earthworms I tried. Once he started accepting earthworms I would do that once a day and some bloodworms at night, but my daughter whose best friend has 2 says I’m over feeding him. When I try to feed him less often he just waits for me at the front of the tank- sometimes even in the little food dish where I put leftovers. I remove the leftovers by the end of the day.

How do I know how much to feed him?
Does it sound like the filter system I have is ok? There’s no current and he spends time in all corners of the tank.
Is quarantining him necessary and will it stress him out?

E64F92CA-F451-4B60-A3A2-27F81CE09E8A.jpeg

I can't see any fungus but if you are concerned use a modified holtfreters solution in the tank water. see Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity for info. I think 'girl talks fish' also mentions about using holtfreters.
your axolotl is a juvenile/adult and is still growing, as a rule the width of the stomach should be the width of the head so unless it is wider don't worry about over feeding, once he/she becomes adult size their appetite will reduce.

I can't see any fungus but if you are concerned use a modified holtfreters solution in the tank water. see Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity for info. I think 'girl talks fish' also mentions about using holtfreters.
your axolotl is a juvenile/adult and is still growing, as a rule the width of the stomach should be the width of the head so unless it is wider don't worry about over feeding, once he/she becomes adult size their appetite will reduce.
Thank you!!

It should be added that your Axolotl has a tank to himself. Girl Talks Fish kept multiple axolotls in larger tank so quarantining was necessary for her (I don't think she has axies anymore).

Quarantining is only necessary to prevent spread to other tank mates. Of course, the salt baths have to be done in separate container but as wolfen said, do the holtfreters solution instead.

It should be added that your Axolotl has a tank to himself. Girl Talks Fish kept multiple axolotls in larger tank so quarantining was necessary for her (I don't think she has axies anymore).

Quarantining is only necessary to prevent spread to other tank mates. Of course, the salt baths have to be done in separate container but as wolfen said, do the holtfreters solution instead.
If you're talking about the speck on his Gill, I'm not certain that's fungus either.

If you're talking about the speck on his Gill, I'm not certain that's fungus either.
Here’s a picture that does show it. It is on the left side, kind of a white fluff.

Attachments

• 7BE7CF5A-4B96-49FF-B18F-6566D786AF2C.jpeg
    7BE7CF5A-4B96-49FF-B18F-6566D786AF2C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
  • 014776DE-256F-41D3-ABDA-F5B438A4B54C.jpeg
    014776DE-256F-41D3-ABDA-F5B438A4B54C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back