Gills Turning Red

brella

Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed that the gills of my axolotls turn bright red sometimes. I can especially tell in the albino. I noticed their gills got really red when I transported them to the new house. Currently their gills are bright red but they weren't like that earlier today. What is this a sign of? Stress?

A sign of stress I'd say, the redness is the blood - capillaries in the gills will brighten when blood flow is increased.
You can also see it in their tails sometimes.
Nothing really to worry about.

Hi Brella,

It's not necessarily stress.

An axies gills will change colour depending on their level of activity - the gills will tend to go darker if the axolotl is active (eating, swimming etc) and go paler if inactive.

I've noticed my axies gills will also darken if they are focusing intently on a target...such as a wriggling worm! ;)

After a big move, I imagine the axolotls will be exploring their new environment in which case they may be more active.

Cheers Jacq.

My Golden axies Luca and nameless get red gills when they move around lots, for example if i accidently startly them by turning on the light at 3 ocklock in the morning :) its a movement thing :D

My axolotls gills are naturally black as he is a black wild type, but Ive recently transfered him into a quarantine tub as he is floating. His gills are now turning red, i dont have a airstone in the tank. DO i need to get one? or do i leave him alone.

My axolotls gills are naturally black as he is a black wild type, but Ive recently transfered him into a quarantine tub as he is floating. His gills are now turning red, i dont have a airstone in the tank. DO i need to get one? or do i leave him alone.
You can add a air stone but my guess is your axolotl is okay I say this only from years of experience but again I'm not a vet but from my experience. I notice when axolotls sleep and awake their gills at times do change. Floating necessary isn't bad as long as it's not unusual behavior sometimes they like to chill and relax and enjoy the water. As long as it's not unusual behavior I wouldn't be concerned but if it's not normal and your still concerned maybe check out vets that specializes in axolotls. Good luck to you and the axolotl.

You can add a air stone but my guess is your axolotl is okay I say this only from years of experience but again I'm not a vet but from my experience. I notice when axolotls sleep and awake their gills at times do change. Floating necessary isn't bad as long as it's not unusual behavior sometimes they like to chill and relax and enjoy the water. As long as it's not unusual behavior I wouldn't be concerned but if it's not normal and your still concerned maybe check out vets that specializes in axolotls. Good luck to you and the axolotl.
thanks so much for your reply, sorry i didnt get back to you. My axolotls were doing fine until the cycle int heir tank crashed. I currently have them tubbed and they wont stop shedding their slime coat, and my golden albino looks a little red, and his gills dont look too good. Theyre both flaoting and im keeping the tub at 18 degrees celsius and doing 100% water changes everyday, any help on anythingelse?

thanks so much for your reply, sorry i didnt get back to you. My axolotls were doing fine until the cycle int heir tank crashed. I currently have them tubbed and they wont stop shedding their slime coat, and my golden albino looks a little red, and his gills dont look too good. Theyre both flaoting and im keeping the tub at 18 degrees celsius and doing 100% water changes everyday, any help on anythingelse?
Great medication is Cattappa leaves for a tea bath as well as adding this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210908-022831_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210908-022831_Chrome.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 544
Continue to do 100 percent water changes and keep the water temperature in their ideal liking. Keep me updated please 🙏

will do. thank you for all the help, will look into getting these items :)

Continue to do 100 percent water changes and keep the water temperature in their ideal liking. Keep me updated please 🙏
Woke up this morning to him covered almost completely white. Gills were white and curled forward. He's dead :( buried him and said a few words. I think it was most likely from his slime coat damaged. My wild type is fine, I dont exactly know what happened.

Yeah, Im really sad about it. Everyone in the family is :(

Woke up this morning to him covered almost completely white. Gills were white and curled forward. He's dead :( buried him and said a few words. I think it was most likely from his slime coat damaged. My wild type is fine, I dont exactly know what happened.
I'm so sorry your axolotl didn't pull through it breaks my heart. You and your axolotl put up a good fight!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back