Have I done something wrong??

Holly12

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just wondering if I've done something wrong on this forum, or if I've insulted people, or maybe asked the wrong questions? Is it because I'm new?

I came to this forum because I have heard it is the best for axolotl care, yet almost all of my questions go unanswered. There are a few people who will help me out, but the majority of my questions get read by a lot of people and are then ignored. It's hard to believe 40+ people can read a question and not one person has an answer.

I research before I ask, but I ask because I want the opinions of people who have kept axies before. It's very discouraging to be ignored when you are new to the hobby and I'm thinking of just leaving the community.

If there's something different I need to be doing when I'm posting questions, please, let me know.

I'm new here too. Welcome to the community! Hope you get replies to your posts soon! And congrats on your axolotl. I just starting keeping axolotls myself and it's been great. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry you're not getting the answers you need. I tried to find unanswered questions from you to help, but all I saw was the krill question. I don't know anything about feeding them krill, I just do worms and pellets. I hope someone can answer that for you.

And welcome to the forum :)

Thanks! :)

I think I figured out all the answers to my questions for now, but I thought maybe I had done something wrong and was being ignored.

Is there a specific pellet for them? I am using a salamander/Newt pellet that has meat as a first ingredient. Should I get carnivore pellets when he's older or is there an axie pellet?

To my knowledge meat as the first ingredient is fine. I order from Michael Shrom. He has a post in the for sale category. I think other breeders may have some, but the ones I got from him have been good for me.

Hi Holly12. You've done nothing wrong and you haven't insulted anyone. This is an excellent forum and you will learn a lot here, and people are not ignoring you on purpose. Don't forget that it is peak holiday season, so quite a lot of the usual forum users may not be around. As for having 40+ views on a question and no answer, this number also includes views by guests and they can't answer your question even if they want to. Of those views that are from forum members, as LoriML noted about your krill question, sometimes people don't know the answer because it's not a topic that they have any experience with. In my personal experience I tend to view questions that I know I can't answer because I find that reading threads like that ensures that I can expand my knowledge.
I understand that it is discouraging to be ignored, but if you stick with the forum you will learn a lot that will help to keep your little one in excellent condition, and should you ever find yourself in the unfortunate situation of having a crisis with your axolotl you will find that the forum users will rally around you with support, information and advice.
I hope that helps you to understand that your recent experiences are nothing personal, and I hope that you decide to stay with us. :happy:

Hi xMay, welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of axolotls. :happy:

Thanks for the response!

I hadn't thought about it being peak holiday season and didn't know that guests counted as views. This makes sense.

I did just make a post about slightly curved gills and a small ammo IA spike that I really hope someone has some insight on. His left gills are always slightly curved (I've had him for a week,) but they looked a tad more so, and I noted a spike of .25ppm ammonia. I just did a 45%wc and discovered 2 poops, so maybe hats what it was..... I will retest in a bit, but if you do see the post, could you tell me what you think about his gills?

I have gotten excellent information here, but it can take many days. Don't be dismayed!

And it may be surprising, but sometimes dozens and dozens of people do not know the answer! My wild type axolotls have light patches (from being too hot over a summer) that have never cleared up despite them having a chiller for over a year and me treating with salt baths. That thread has 500 views, but no one knew what to do!

I hope you and your axolotl have many happy years ahead!

Just wondering if I've done something wrong on this forum, or if I've insulted people, or maybe asked the wrong questions? Is it because I'm new?

I came to this forum because I have heard it is the best for axolotl care, yet almost all of my questions go unanswered. There are a few people who will help me out, but the majority of my questions get read by a lot of people and are then ignored. It's hard to believe 40+ people can read a question and not one person has an answer.

I research before I ask, but I ask because I want the opinions of people who have kept axies before. It's very discouraging to be ignored when you are new to the hobby and I'm thinking of just leaving the community.

If there's something different I need to be doing when I'm posting questions, please, let me know.

Most of us don't get replies instantly, it may take a few days (almost always 24 hours at the least), but I will try to help you with the knowledge I have but I am not certain about most things and do not want to leave people with the wrong advice!!
Sorry but we're also just volunteering/dedicating our time to this like you are!

For those of us who are not hugely experienced the biggest fear is giving the wrong advice and making matters worse. We do want to help, but we are still learning too. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back